Best bookshelf monitor under $1000 new or used.

Taking a member's advice and starting a new thread.

I need help picking my first set of speakers and amp!

Right now I'm just running lossless music out of my computer but eventually I would like to get a good player and turntable. So I will need speakers and and amp that will work well with all three of these.

Not really sure at this point what kind of sound I prefer, but I just want something that will blow my mind in quality either way.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Later,
Nick
nickclarson

Showing 1 response by honest1

Depending on your priorities, the Spica TC50s (and maybe TC60s) are some of the best small inexpensive speakers out there. What they won't do is play at very high loevels, play with top-shelf dynamics, or give very deep bass or vary high highs. If you can live with these limits, what thye will do is give a better balanced tone across the board than just qabout anything at any price; very good resolution; excellent imaging and soundstaging; a very natural and non-fatiguing sound; and they will sound at least good no matter what you use with them, or how you position them (mine are currently sitting directly on the floor). They will allow also reward you with improvements in sound as the rest of your equipment improves. It actually makes sense to use very expensive gear with them, because unlike many inexpensive speakers, they will let you easily hear any improvements elsewhere in the chain. But again, they are not party speakers, and if you blow them, you have a problem. I have read that the tweaters are available again, but not the woofers.