Best American music of the last 25 years?

What songs and artists best represent American music over the past 25 years?

I am making a mega playlist for my friend immigrating to the States next month. She loves English music but it's heavily censored where she is from. What are the best songs to help her catch up to date on popular genres and show her the best songs of the last 25 years?

Bonus points for songs that cover the plight of generations or relevant sociopolitical situations at the time.

leon471

Speaking of Mary Gauthier (who DID debut within the past 25 years), Anne Johnson has a short but sweet feature article on her in the latest issue (no. 164) of the PS Audio online mag Copper, a favorite read of mine. In the same issue is Part 2 of an article on Shelby Lynne, another fine singer/songwriter.

It’s seems like a lot of younger music fanatics think in terms of bands, rather than solo artists. As you get older, you learn that it is often the songwriter in a band that makes them good, not the band itself. Many songwriters who start out in bands eventually end up going solo, then choosing the musicians they want to record their songs with.

Can you imagine Randy Newman being in a band? ;-) John Hiatt made his professional debut as a member of White Duck, whose sole album In Season (UNI 73140) is fairly rare and collectible. My copy is not for sale ;-) .

Houston, Texas based 3 piece band, ‘Khruangbin’ is a real treat for anyone who is feeling adventurous. Their most recent album is great, but then again, so are their previous releases. They started out leaning more toward being a jam band with few scant vocals, and with each album release they’ve incorporated well placed vocals in a gradual and natural progression while staying true to their character. Saw them perform at The Greek Theatre in November and boy did they give a mind blowing performance.

Highly recommend giving them a listen. 
🤘

@bdp24 - I don't know how old you are, but I can assure you that back in the late 60's and early 70's, 'singer/songwriter' was a VERY popular style of music among people my age, who were teenagers. Elton John, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Don McLean, Johnny Winter, and I could go on and on.

Today, all you have to do is look at the pop charts and I think you might see more individual names than band names. Guitar-based rock bands have not been the most popular genre among younger folks for quite some time now. Hip-hop, pop, and electronica rule the roost. Doesn't bother me either way.