Berning ZH270 Synergy

You often see the Berning ZH270 amp paired with Merlin speakers. What other speakers pair well with the Berning amp? In other words, is it more flexible in this regard than we're led to believe? Thanks.
budrew

Showing 1 response by flemguy

Budrew,
I have the ZH270 matched with Piega P10's-the older grand piano black, not the newer aluminum models. The Piegas are rated at 89 db sensitivity and are a 4 ohm load, and I use them in a 17x14 room. I had some trepidation when I ordered it about it not having enough power,etc, but with the 30 day money back trial period I figured it was worth a try.
It was the best decision i ever made. It is a beautiful matchup. I get the best out of the Piega's ribbons, and the Berning is so good at both frequnecy extremes, it has no problem with the Piega's two 8 1/2 inch Vifa cones, and it provides exceptional dynamics. Plus, you get the flexibility of three feedback settings to tailor the degree of control the amp has over the drivers and the resulting sound.
I loved the sound running my sources direct into the Berning so much, but i am a lazy guy and needed a remote volume control. I ended up with a Placette Passive Linestage, also available on a 30 day trial, to go with the Berning. It preserved the Berning sound, improved the detail and soundstage with no loss of dynamics, and allows me to control source and volume via remote.
I am in sonic bliss. i heartily recommend the Berning under the parameters described above. It is a remarkable product, as is the Placette. I hope this is useful to you.
Flemguy