Berning ZH270 Synergy

You often see the Berning ZH270 amp paired with Merlin speakers. What other speakers pair well with the Berning amp? In other words, is it more flexible in this regard than we're led to believe? Thanks.
budrew

Showing 4 responses by fiddler

I have a 60's vintage Mullard 12AT7 to try in place of one pair of my TF ecc801s. I will put them in the second position and keep the other pair of TF ecc801s in the first position. The RCA 12AV7 will stay in front for the time being.

I will report on the Mullard 12AT7 combo when I get it in.
Congratulations Nkj,

I've had my Berning with all the upgrades for several months. Just wait till it breaks in. You ain't heard nothing yet.

Also, I recently rolled NOS Telefunken 12AT7's in and more recently, NOS RCA 12AV7's. They made a huge difference, both of them. The detail and focus is amazing. With the four TF 12AT7's in place my Berning is a little cool sounding, but I love the detail. However, I may try a pair of Mullards in place of one pair of the TF for a little more warmth.

Good luck. The Berning is simply an amazing amp with very few peers. And Allan is a fountain of knowledge and a great guy ta boot!
Steve and Artg,

Thanks for the replies.

I am definitely going to try the Mullards. But I am not sure which ones. I have read mixed reviews on the Mullard 12AT7, the Sylvania Gold Brand 12AT7, the 6204 and the CV4024. I would appreciate any detailed feedback anyone can offer on any of these tubes in the Berning.

I also read that several Berning owners were using the GE 5 Star 12AV7, but when I asked Andy at Vintage Tube Service about the GE 5 Stars, he said GE 12AV7s were "crap in a glass".

He told me that RCA was the best 12AV7 ever made so I went with his advice. I will say the focus really snapped into place with the RCAs over the stock 12AV7.

I will be anxious to hear any reports on the 12AV7 position. I will stick with at least one pair of the TF 12AT7s in my ZH270, but four of them may be too much of a good thing. Time and experimentation will tell.
Ecclectique,

Andy said, - "GE" - 12AV7s were "crap in a glass", not 12AV7s.

Just wanted to clear that up.