Bel Canto Dac 3.7 in 2018?

Hi all,

I’ve come across a store demo 3.7 including the VBL for approximately 3000. Mint. Boxed, ready for sell. I know some might consider it dated due to lack of mqa, dsd, pcm, which is not available on this unit. Or perhaps the converter is dated?

Im quite content with 24/192. I’m waiting for the dust to settle on what will become the industry standard.  Mqa still seems questionable. Though promising. 

I currenty own a Bel Canto Reflink which would utilize the fiber connection for optimal SQ.  Add the VBL. It looks like a win for my needs and price. 

At the same time. There are always options, and different viewpoints. Which I would take into account. 

New or used. Would the community agree the 3.7 still holds up for 2018.  Are there similar units for the same price range that will surpass the 3.7 with the VBL. 

I lean towards seperates that has a external power source. Though I am open to a all in one unit. 

I believe Mytek can be hooked up to a separate power supply as well. Though I feel the Mytek  Brooklyn + has way too many features which could potentially impair the SQ. I’m very much into a simple UI. Clean lines. Less is more. Etc..

Thank you for your input. 

J

jred

Showing 4 responses by audioman58

The Newer 2.7 Belcanto dac is better then the both the 3.5 and 3.7 
Dual Femto clocks , and very good power supplies, the clocks alone 
give this dac much better resolution and 124db dynamic range 
Very low noise floor.  Check it out makes sure it has a few  hundred hours on it 
and takes a long time to warm up at least 24 hours to sound at its best.
even out of stand by.
The 3.7 with the linear external power supply is perhaps a bit more refined then the 2.7 but not by much  . And $1,000s more money.

Bel canto has a player and 2.7 combo coming out later in the year for $3500 I have heard the 3.7 with power supply vs the 2.7  veryvery close sonicly bot 70 Femto seconds accuracy clocks whichthst is better then the majority out there ad the 2.7 has class 
A output sections ,dual verylow nose power supplies 124db 
the 3.7 126 db a hair differences , if you could wait till the fall 
thestreamer 2.7 combo is going to be a hot ticket thstcould 
do a lot and if spots fit,or Qbuz  get bigger in radio that too will 
be soft ware added. I thought the Schitt Yaggs 2 would be for sure better , nope not in my system it may have a bit better leading edge detail , micro dynamics are close layering of depth,prat 
in my system and match with my Gato amp the elcsnto is more analog like. In this hobby nothing is set in stone . Everyone linked 
a different flavor.
I bought the Belcanto 2.7  itstechnologies are a bit ahead of all past dacs  they made their output stages x2 are very low noise and in class A output stsge
and no more pico second time clocks they use Duel high-precision Femto 
clocks 70 Femto seconds accuracy cs the still norm pico seconds .
this unit is only a hair behind the Belcanto 3.7 with virtual battery 
124 db dynamic range , ,the 3.7 126 db , and measured almost spot on in testing 
that says a lot TheSchiit Yaggs has a lot of good press .Bel, canto donot do 1/2 as many reviews ,youjusthave to gets trial   but in my System I tried both 
and theYaggs had a bit more leading edge , but theBelcanto had more prat 
more-involving. This too can just be my amp preamp was a better mstch .
ifyou look at Bel canto website , they have almost 30 years in audio including digital . John Strozner saysthere are 4-5 key critical elements thst have to be
right for everything else to fall into place . One thing to mention here.
high quality Fuse for sure do count ,we did several blind tests after 100hr+ runin.
several blind tests with 4 or more people .look at the metals resistance index online . Steel fuse a 15, Copper,Silver 65 +higher number better the conductor
Everything  run-through the fuse. I use the Hifi tuning  Black -Supreme Gold over Silver ,ceramic body in digital it is very detailed and nuetral. .synergistic blue in amps ,preamp ifyou want a bit more body .  Vs steel fuse a clearer performance ,better-stereo seperation, and for sure better low level micro details..
the companies don’t want you in thecade but as a Audiophile I am compelled !!