BEL 1001 MK5 driving Joseph Audio Pulsars

I own the BEL amp and considering the purchase of a used pair of the Plusars.

My concern is the Pulsars 83.5 dB sensitivity as measured in Stereophile.  They do have a benign impedance curve, not dipping below 6 ohms. This to me means a speaker that thirsts after watts as opposed to current. 

The BEL is rated at 50wpc into 8ohm and doubles down into 4 and 2 ohm loads, likely due to a very conservative 8 ohm rating. Easily drives my Esoteric MG10s (87dB sensitive, 6ohm nominal impedance) to very loud levels.

My room size is `12.5 by 14.5 x 8.5 feet.  An asset for speakers of low sensitivity.

I am looking for thoughts regarding the BEL's ability to drive the Pulsars in a modest size room.

mesch

Showing 9 responses by mesch

Thanks all!  I consider the BEL to be borderline in wattage. It is a brut for a 50 watter however.  

If I indeed purchase the Pulsars, I will approach the volume with caution. 

My BEL was made in 2007, so not long prior to Mr. Brown passing away. I intend to have someone put it on the test bench one day and have those big caps replaced. 
Yes, If I could find another BEL of recent vintage at the right price. 

I am really on the fence on this. I have been wanting to hear the Pulsars for some time and am now in a position to 

Yes jjss49, I tend to agree. It will be the 1st time I buy a speaker I havn’t heard. 
Well after much deliberation I have decided to pass on the counter offer. Think I may wish to go in a different direction with speakers. 
Thanks all for your thoughts.

I became more concerned about the very low sensitivity. I believe a amp as good as my BEL but with higher wattage would be overly expensive for my budget.
Ha, I left you hanging...  in a position to purchase a pair to try out and I find myself thinking about going in a different direction speaker wise. Ones that are higher in efficiency, which means for me benign impedance and high sensitivity.  That way I could try a tube amplifier if I choose. ( I run a tube preamp with the BEL.) Just that I have always been a fan of stand mount 2-ways for a small room. Not many meet the efficiency criterion. 

The Pulsars I am considering are on offer here at AG. I made an offer and received a counter which gives me a day to consider my options.  If they get sold in the meantime, congrats to the seller. If I accept the counter the Pulsars could always be resold.  I will keep you informed. 

@macdonj  I believe the price would reflect age. My amp was made in 2007. Retailed at ~$4000 then. If I were to sell mine I would likely ask $1200. One BEL 1001 recently sold on AG for $1125, I am not clear on which MK it was.

@jjss49  I have not directly (in my home) compared my BEL to other amps. Had experience with a Classe 101 which I thought was detailed to the point of being clinical, too lean for my taste.  The BEL seems pure and clean but not to the point of being lean, yet provides bloom but not to the point of being overly warm. I would describe it as detailed yet smooth. I have used this amp for 8 years driving a pair of Esoteric MG-10s, 7" standmounts, and now with Tannoy Sterlings which are quite different. The BEL plays well with both. I am sorry that I can't better respond to your question, haven't developed my audio prose to any elaborate extent. I do enjoy your contributions across this forum.
@bobheinatz  Yes, I plan on keeping mine for a few more years. This after considering replacing it and deciding that I have no idea what amp I would replace it with. Was thinking a Pass XA25. Also was considering returning to an integrated amplifier. 

Now keeping myself in a holding pattern. Maybe do a couple touch-and-goes.