BDP-105: IN/OUT Options. What/where decoding, huh?

(separate from a bypass the AVR with ’front stereo system’ audio quality revision which I now have no questions about)

Move my Oppo 105 to Home Theater for it’s Better Processing (sound and video).

Now:

Sony 4K Smart TV; Sony Blu-Ray; Sony AVR (no pre-out).
Fios Coax > Cable Box hdmi > AVR hdmi (arc) > Smart TV.
Blu-Ray hdmi > AVR.
PC hdmi > AVR.
VHS component > AVR

NET: ethernet cable to each piece (except VCR)
(arc): Audio Return Channel: AVR’s HDMI 3 (arc) to Smart TV, (allows Smart TV audio back to AVR).

CHANGE: Oppo 105 replaces Sony Blu-Ray

optional ways to let it try to do better.
what/where/how to get best video/audio decoding?

1. NET from Fios Router > Oppo, easy.

a. updates
b. I guess Oppo has some of it’s own ’Smart TV’ features to stream from that feed to my Smart TV. In that case Oppo controls that content
c. can Oppo ’pass’?: NET > Oppo hdmi > Smart TV. (cable box not involved). Thus use Smart TV to select streaming content, but how then get Oppo’s superior processing?

2. Cable Box move it’s hdmi > Oppo. (easy, goes to AVR Now).

a. Oppo hdmi 1 > Smart TV for better video
b. Oppo hdmi 2 > AVR for audio (better?)
c. AVR hdmi (arc) > Smart TV (no change)

what/where/how to get best video/audio decoding?

as always, thanks in advance for help with this,

Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr

Showing 1 response by mahler123

Keep in mind that the streaming companies apply their own compression that limits the quality of their stream.  I don’t know the answer to the OP question, which as I understand it, is can the 105
be used to video decode even if the app for the service lives on a different component.  However, even if the answer is in the affirmative, I suspect the quality of what the streaming service sends to you in the first place will place the biggest limitation on what emerges from your rig