B&W 805 D3

Does anybody here own the B&W 805 D3? I just happen to read about this new model although it was launched sometime last year. Apparently the long-surviving Kevlar driver had been replaced by the new Continuum driver in the all new 800-diamond series now in their 3rd generation. Is the new Continuum driver a huge departure in sound quality from the previous B&W models which are on the Kevlar?

Is there a significant difference going from the following iterations :-

Nautilus 805 => 805S => 805 Diamond => 805 D2 => 805 D3 (new Continuum driver)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ryder

Showing 1 response by lalitk

I agree with bcgator.  After auditioning 802D3, I decided to grab 800D2. To my ears 802D3 were not substantially better to warrant their somewhat hefty asking price.  

Now this may not be a fair comparison but since my dealer so eloquently claimed that new 802D3 rivaled the performance of 800D2.  Well not to my ears, 800D2 was bit more transparent and offered much tighter bass.  The mid-range on both speakers were equally good.  

I still own a pair of 803s. IMO, B&W made biggest improvements from Nautilus to S series and then to Diamond D1 & D2's. 

If money is no object by all means grab the D3. Otherwise, any used D2 series speakers are easily the best bargains in already over crowded world of high end speakers.