B&W 802 - Analysis and Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I always loved the look of the 802s but never the sound very much, but always always thought they were very good looking in wood.

Anyway, I found a very interesting read for the armchair speaker designers in the forums, I encourage you to read it. I personally have no opinions on this article, except that I agree with the author more often than not, and he's much better and more experienced than I am. But please take none of this as me promoting any particular point of view. I just think the article itself may give fans of B&W and upgraded parts, and speaker design a lot more insight than you glean from Stereophile.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/B&W-802s3_Upgrade.htm

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
One thing I want to point out, the tweeter in the original 802 is measurably smoother in the top octaves than current models, despite being "boring" Aluminum AND a micro-motor (which I usually don’t like at all).

Best,

E
One thing very interesting here is the difference between the direct and the power response. The ideal crossover (a curve I very much like!) did not work in Troel's room because there was too much midrange energy left over.  He ends up in an interesting compromise which is actually quite room dependent.