B&K vs ADA which to buy?

Hello all, I am looking at a couple of second hand amps, older, so I know they may need to be re-capped and serviced at some point. I am currently running a Pioneer Elite SC-37, 4 NHT Classic 4 towers, and a Classic 3C, with an M&k V1250 sub. This NHT set seems to be a bit much for the SC37 (it will be moving to pre/pro duties with the amp) I have a line on either a B&K av5000 series II or an ADA PTM-8150, both about exactly the same price. The ADA is an 8 channel so I could Bi-amp my fronts with it. Any thoughts on which way this group would lean with my rig? Pricing on these is right around $450 so I am guessing there won’t be much new out there in the same range. Thanks in advance for any wisdom and advice on this- Jay

jayk914

I had a B&K 5125 which is the version after the 5000ii I believe. It was a wonderful sounding amp. I’m not familiar with the ADA.

I have had several ADA and B&K and both are good .  ADAs use fans, I had a PF201 and replaced the fan with a premium ball bearing one and it was better but still was noticeable from my listening position. Same with the 1260 I had.   

They can be bought dirt cheap because they are aimed at the custom install market.    They are good but over priced new .  You can buy a C J or McIntosh for what those things cost new so keep that in perspective.  

I have an AV 5000II iand its a good amp .   It is a little less forward 

Hello all, 

just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, I ended up going with an ADA, but a

PT M-6150 instead, better shape, and shipping was an option so no need for a 6 hour round trip drive to Chicago, it arrives next week!!