Aurender vs CD

Upgrading my old system: Nakamichi CD player OMS-7, Pre-amp CA-5, Amp PA-7, recently purchased Sonus Faber Sonneto VIII speakers; simple Monster RCA interconnects and AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables.

Purchased Aurender A15 to replace the CD player, and the Aurender sounds more "digital" - more noise on the top, less transparent, more fatigue after listening. It's the same while streaming high-res Qobuz, MQA Tidal, or playing from the SSD. 

This is my first streamer. Is it the same for all the streamers/DACs in this price range? I also considered but did not audition Lumin, Auralic and HiFi Rose. 

evernv

@blisshifi Thanks, fully agreed on break-in. It took about 3 weeks of almost daily listening for A15 to fully open up.

Cables are definitely in the plans. My Nakamichi amp has only RCAs, and I'm planning to upgrade it to Mac MC275 that has XLRs. Hence the wait. Good power management system with power cables is also in the plan. What ICs & power would you recommend? I've been looking into Nordost family. 

BTW, I know speaker cables are off-topic in this discussion, but wondering everyones opinion. I tried AQ Rocket 33 first and was not impressed, then got Nordost SuperFlatline and was impressed by it's musicality. I missed the bass though, and the highs were a bit too underscored and not super clean. Recently, I got AQ Rocket 88. They are still breaking in, but definitely higher quality, quiet, and with better bass. Maybe it's my bias toward Nordost, but I'm missing emotions a bit with AQ Rocket 88 and now considering Nordost Red Dawn. I looked at others at this price range but some designs are not my cup of tea, eg Cardas bright blue color with cheap looking heat-shrink tubing. Any thoughts and recommendations? Re the system, I'll be keeping A15 as my main source for a while, maybe adding analog source at some point, will be upgrading digital Nakamichi PA-7 to Mac MC275, and possibly upgrading Sonus Faber Sonneto VIII to higher level speakers but most likely staying with the SF family. Again, apologies for off-topic.

@evernv I am a dealer for both Aurender and DH Labs, so consider that despite me attempting to respond without bias towards sale.

If spending less than $1K on any pair of cables or interconnects, I wholeheartedly recommend DH Labs. They made reference grade cabling widely utilized across pro recording/mastering studios, audiophiles, and even internal OEM wiring for speakers and electronics. Most of their cables are completely designed and assembled in the USA. Given that they do not spend money to advertise heavily, their cables simply outperform cables that cost 2-3x more.

In their lineup, I highly recommend their Air Matrix Cryo interconnects, Reunion Cat 8 Ethernet, and Red Wave (with 10awg silver plated copper conductors) or Power Plus Cryo (with 12awg Copper) power cables. The Red Wave will bring more slam and transparency and the power plus will be a bit less revealing. The Air Matrix Cryo has a non-cryo version that has been around a long time and is their most popular interconnect. It is really good for the money, but for the extra $100 or so, it’s worth stepping up to the Cryo for the added warmth, detail and refinement it brings. I do like it even more than their pure silver interconnects which cost more.

I have compared DH Labs to some offerings against Nordost, Kimber, Synergistic Research, Cerious Technologies, and Teo Cables. For price points, DH Labs and Cerious come out ahead by a long run. There are a few threads on them across the AGon forums, so feel free to do some research.

Happy to chat and answer any questions if you have interest.