Aurender and native DSD output

For those out there that are using the Aurender N20 streamer in tandem with a DAC that has both AES/EBU and USB digital input, can you please let me know if you are able to play DSD files via the Aurender over the AES/EBU output when the "Use native DSD on USB" setting is on?

In my case, this does not work, if I have the "use native DSD on USB" on, I cannot play any DSD/DSF files over AES/EBU, I can only play them over USB.. Flac and other formats work fine.

In my case the Aurender N20 is connected via both the AES/EBU and USB interfaxces to the Chord Dave DAC.

thijazi

I did read all the manuals for both units, there is nothing there that explains it.

Zlone: the thing is, when I turn the "use Native DSD on USB" off, then I can play DSD over the AES interface...

It is probably doing DoP which can handle dsd64 over spdif .   So it is basically converting dsd to pcm

I don't think that DoP converts the DSD files to PCM, I think it encapsulates the DSD files using PCM to use it as a transport for compatible DACs and players..

I think you already have your answer. Pretty sure native DSD can only be handled via USB or i2S, which is likely why it isn’t working over AES/EBU.

thijazi OP

2 posts

I did read all the manuals for both units, there is nothing there that explains it.

🐂 💩 because page 24 of 35 in the Chord DAVE manual explains the sample rate compatibility of each input. If you read it you would see that the AES/EBU accepts 44-96khz, 16 and 24bit. There’s more info on other inputs there.

From the Aurender user guide…

On some Aurender models (see "File Type & Resolution Support" comparison table below), "Native" DSD output is available via USB