Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954
@danvignau 

"Who wants to go to a female's house to listen to girley music?"
I don't know what women you associate with, but I wouldn't recommend making that comment in mixed company. My wife is the "metalhead" in the family and was the one that turned me onto bands like Tool. We enjoyed everything from Puccini to Pink. 
Referring to "girly music" says more about you than them.
@gg987
You remind me of my ex-wife. And I mean that in only the most positive way. She has always appreciated good sound and good music and although she didn't care about the minutiae of my audiophilia, she wasn't in the least intimidated by the gear.
There is so much stereotyping in society and as much as we like to think we are progressing, there is a very long way to go.
Something I can finally jump in on!
Came home one day and my youngest daughter was operating my Sony Commander remote. Her mother was beside herself telling me she told that girl to leave it alone. I asked her rather casually so you got that down? She said yes, I watched you just enough. Then I come home one day and she has the stereo running. I walk in her mother says she did it.
The other daughter I took on two trips to the repair shop and showroom (nothing like the other one). She just had fun turning all the knobs and looking at gear and asking what does this sound like. 
One day I was fooling around with the system and made a wrong move and the older sister jumped me and told me exactly what the man said I could and couldn’t do. Daddy were you even listening? 
The mother just wanted to hear her music as loud as she wanted. I also owned a sports car that the mother loved to drive. One day I got to talking about holding on once you hit 80mph at a temperature of 160 degrees. To my surprise the mother pops off and talks about leaving guys in their tracks. She realizes she’s telling on herself and goes mum. At that point I realize she’s out there racing my baby and even I didn’t do that.
Shoot back to youngest daughter daddy,
I want that car, ok when I can no longer drive it’s yours.
Gets out she got dibs two other pouty faces.
The shop we were in was Sound Idea, Texas.
Maybe they like what we like but they never really do it the way we do. One thing I know the systems I do own will be staying in the family with the youngest girl teaching the boys and girls. Including the cars.
I don’t have pictures of my systems online because you guys are so above me all I do is read what you write. I have been into separates since high school and own gear from that day except for the headphone rack which now includes a HPA-550, V850, 339, 789, 007tll. Haven’t decided on second DAC yet but leaning SMSL400 or
Denafrips Pontus and run an rca over to main system also.
You folks rock!
@danvignau  -- "Who wants to go to a female's house to listen to girley music?"

Seriously? Girly music? What IS that anyway?

I guarantee you if you came to my "female" house you could listen to anything from classical to classic rock, some jazz, some blues, standards ... the gamut. 

As for people suggesting that the "music is the thing, not the gear" ... yes, but the gear is the way to get to the music, at least for us! For me, the quality of the sound makes a huge difference. For my male partner, it does not. He listens on my discards (very OLD discards!) and is completely happy. He doesn't worry about cables, line conditioners, or any of that stuff (let alone components). He's much more gadget-oriented than I am (he's an engineer) but has no particular interest in sound (and claims not to hear differences). 

Really, there are probably few differences between male and female audiophiles -- we're all in it because the sound makes a huge difference. Perhaps male audiophiles are, generally speaking, more gadget-loving than females. The "barriers to entry" are greater for women, though, as I mentioned. Women are wary of "boy's clubs" where they may not be welcome. (A great example of that is the toxic male gamer environment. Fortunately, the audiophile world is not nearly as toxic. But the wariness is still there.)
Men are more inward which allows them to enjoy listening to music which typically is done without much conversation. Women are more outward and enjoy company and conversation which is not conducive to critically listening to a hifi system where you are either listening to enjoy, which is a non-talking event or to figure out which item needs to be upgraded next, which again requires quiet.

excellent and accurate observation, i think