AudioEngine 2 vs AudioEngine5?

Greetings everyone,
Based on feedback from an audiophile family member and strong reviews, I am considering picking up a pair of AudioEngine powered monitors for my desktop.

Any thoughts on the AE2 vs the AE5? Have Audiogon folks been happy w/ AE2's on their desktop... or do most go for the AE5's?

Thanks.
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
I use the AE5s in a garage I-Pod based system and I think they work great in that application. Much better than the similarly priced Apple Hi-Fi but still not good enough for critical listening. They seem like they may be a little big for a desk top unless you've got a big desk(or a really small computer).
I think you need to consider price. The Audioengine a2's are $200 a pair, the a5's are $325 and the KRK VXT6 are $900! Of course a $450 speaker is going to sound better than a $100 one! I am with the op, I am looking for a good sounding pair of sub-$200 powered monitors to use on my desktop. Not for critical listening but to enjoy music while I'm at my PC.

The Audioengine a2's get some good press. So do the Swan M200's. What about Alesis M1Active 520, M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 or iKey Audio M505? Any others in the sub-$200 range worth a look?
I prefer the M-Audio AV40 over the Audioengine A2. Kept the AV40, returned the A2. That said, Audioengine said it was rare for someone to return A2's.

I'm very happy with the A5's in my bedroom system.

BTW, I find it's important to NOT simply plop the speakers down on a desktop. Get some air under the speaker. I use my old trusty black diamond racing cones, but I bet a few "magic rub" erasers would work as well :)

Art
Art (and others),
In case anybody is interested, audioengine recently released a desktop stand called the DS1. This sets the desktop speaker at a 15 degree angle.

Regards