Audio Research reference amplifiers used with RCA IC`s and unbalanced preamplifiers

I am considering purchasing used audio research reference amplifiers either 150se or 75 SE. My question is this

As these amplifiers are fully balanced and don't have an RCA input, can I use RCA interconnects with a conversion plug from RCA to balanced at the amplifier input and will it work in my system?

I don't have any balanced interconnects and don't want to go through the extra expense. Only one of my three preamplifiers has an XLR output and there's nothing indicating the preamplifier is fully balanced.

I find this balanced/ unbalanced criteria confusing.

nsp

speedthrills

My bad I was actually referring to an article I read on the new arc reference 80 SE amplifier. It is switchable  from Ultra linear to triode mode but I can't seem to find the power rating for the triode setting.

The 80 SE is 70 watts per Channel in Ultra linear I'm thinking the triode setting might be only half that which might not be enough for my speakers. 150 watts per Channel is probably Overkill for my room and listening habits. My room is 15 by 17 with 8 ft ceiling and I listen from 75 to 85 DB nothing louder

The triode setting would be 35 wpc. I own Ref 160’s.

I run my REF 160’s in triode mode (so 70wpc instead of 140wpc). There seems to be little difference in sound levels… only in the triad mode there is a bit more naturalness to the sound.

I periodically switch back to ultra linear and immediately back to triode. Having come from 350wpc Pass amp… where more power is better… not true in the ARC tube world.

The contemporary ARC Reference amps are incredible. Highly recommended.

ghdprentice

Thanks. That's what I thought 35 Watts or half of 70 Watts.

Well it seems like you're saying that the difference in power/quality switching in your system is not that much different.

Was curious as to what levels your spl's are? Mine or 75 to 85 DB

I typically listen at the 65 to 75 db area. But I occasionally crank it into the 80db area, it sounds great.

If you are listening at an average spl of 85 that is very loud. If you are talking about occasionally peaks touching 85… that is just loud.

I had some kids come over and crank it to…. Loud… I didn’t want to go in to measure the spl, it was too loud. No evidence of running out of power.

I found when I switched over to the ARC amp from a Pass 350 (Wpc). I actually listened at lower volumes because the music was more satisfying at lower volumes.

Wow, 85 db is very loud.  No wonder my wife is always yelling at me.  But going back to cables, if both the preamp and power amps are fully balanced you can use inexpensive balanced cables.  Mogami or something similar for no more than a couple hundred bucks.  For what your investing in the amp seems like a drop in the bucket.  But then again I’m good at spending other people’s money.