Audio Issue with my Audio Technica AT - LP 120 USB Turntable

I've got an Audio Technica AT - LP 120 USB turntable with a brand new Ortofon 2M blue stylus on it. Sometimes, when I play a record, the sound will only come out of the left-side speakers. Then, when I try another record, the sound will work just fine. Then, when I try the original record again, it will work just fine. And then, maybe I'll try another record and the sound will only come out of the left-side speakers again. I never know when the problem might pop up. I've tried gently cleaning the dust off the stylus with a stylus cleaner brush and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm guessing the issue has to do with my turntable because I don't have sound issues with the TV or the CD/DVD player. Like I said, the stylus is brand new, so I'm at a loss. Ideas? Thanks!

mahastew

It seems like you have isolated the problem to the turntable.  I don’t know much about usb turntables but I assume the usb is there potentially to record the lp to a hard drive, and that if you are just playing an lp without recording it, it isn’t the source of the problem.  I am also assuming that the turntable has a built in phono preamp.

Imo the problem is with either 1) the built in preamp, 2) the cartridge 3) the wiring (cables).  You don’t mention what kind of an amplifier the turntable is connected to.  I would check the connections from the turntable to the amp because it’s possible that one channel is either loose or or perhaps the is dirt at one contact point.  If that doesn’t work try a different pair of cables, because the cables themselves might be damaged.  
  If the cables aren’t the issue, imo it’s the phono pre amp.  Internal pre amps on a budget table are not likely to be high quality.  If you are using the internal pre amp, try to borrow an external pre amp and see if that solves it.  If it does, then you can proceed accordingly.

If all that fails, then the problem may be with the cartridge and/ or it’s wiring