ASR Emitter 1 , Does can drive B&W 802d ?

Hi
I want try B&W 802d with ASR Emitter 1 but i'm not sure ,
can it drive the 802 ? some says, it would can, but i heard
it with manger 107 that it is 200w in 4 Ohm & it almost drive it but near the maximum out put! & can it drive 802
500w in 8 Ohm & 90db ?
i need your experience thanks a lot
Mehrdad
mehrdad
In my experience the fact that you needed to ask this question is the answer. Get a II if you can swing it.
I have driven the 802's with a 140 watt tube amp, 200 watt per channel Carver home theater amp and Bryston 4BSST's. The speakers had no problem playing music nor serving as part of the home cinema with the two transitor amps, the tube amp did not have the bass slam as the two other amps, but oh did it play music way better. It will depned on how loud you will play and how big of a space you have to determine the real demand of these speakers, yeah they dip into 4 ohms in the impedance curev, but it is not as critical as you may think. These speakers rock.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
thank for answers friends
my space is about 10m - 4.5m .i don't listen always loud
but some times , yes!
a dealer in australia (northsidehifi)said to me that thay
had a good experience whit those and had a demo of them
for a year.and whit your experience it seems to be able!
the stupid things that made me suspicious was number of
ASR volume in 55 (of 70) whit manger 107, that it was
enough if it could drive the same whit B&W?
It may work, but there are better speakers that will allow the Emitter to do it's job better..
II would not say necessarily say better, but more efficient. You have to match speakers and amps together to suit ones ultimate goals. I am driving B&W 800's with 140 watt tube amps, and I could care less about any other speakers as I am completely satisfied. That is why I said, the low impedance curve does not matter with these speakers and good equipment. Pair of mono Octave 140 watt amps drive the 800's easily with clean, deep, dry bass. The best thing the original poster can do is to evaluate speakers in his own room and on his system to make the final determination for what the best synergy is. Perhaps the Plinius is not up to the job to drive these types of speakers at all, despite the 91db efficiency rating.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
Oops, meant to say ASR and not Plinius, was multi-tasking several threads.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
I would say better, it would be a shame not to realise the emitters potential. Ive yet to hear the 802d sound impressive.
Regards,
Ps
thanks
Dealer can arrange a test in home for confidence
and whit your help i think It must work !
or may be have to change one of them !
have good time whit music
Good luck with your decisions. Personally I have listened to the ASR Emitter and then compared them to the Octave amps I am now using. I was on an upgrade path to purchase ML 33H's or Classe Omega series amps, until I auditioned the Octave maps. At that point I never looked back and that is when I realized that so many people are jaded in believing that because a certain speaker has one factor that causes it to appear that it might be difficult to drive, really have not heard state of the art tube equipment driving such speakers, hence my comments.

I was also ready to purchase MBL 101's and perhaps MBL 111's, but from my auditions, the N800's do so many things well, layering space and dimensionality, small voice inflections and breathing ques, timber and bass, all of those superlatives. That is why I sit back and laugh at those critics who claim to "KNOW" that certain speakers are just bad, when in fact they were probably not driven by the correct electronics or maybe have not heard them set up properly. There are so many variables to consider when making purchases. You would think that top of the line MP and MBL equipment would be an easy decision, however, I am methodicall and practical when it comes to spending my money. Plenty of research, evalautions and solicitations are asked for, such as you are doing.

The only way you will ever know, is to evaluate on your own, and be aware of the proper setup conditions for whatever you are evaluating.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
thank Audioquest4life
I agree whith moor research to find the best possibility allways! But in
hear i can't find many options to experience different sound .

i like tube sound, but i listen to the complex ,fast music most of the time.
and my interest is the dynamic & fast rendering for best streem separation ...etc.
I inclined to solid state moor than tube but you know that ASR ( almost) known for both dynamic & tube like sound .
I found it almost warm and deep like tube
whith good deep bass . dynamic may be not like very fast solid state but its good & i don't heard many tube amp
to say how much is sound near the tube taste specially
compare it whith famous of them .
some thing that it's not clear for me is the softness of bass ( not a little ) and i can't hear very sharp the bass
attack when for example the bassist play whith pick in
musics that i heard much before !the demo that i heard was :
Shanling T300(whith tube in out put), HiDiamond cable & Manger 107
may be it was matching ? specialy manger , + cable & the tube Stage of source together !!

I want try it whith S1 source & Golden reference Cardas cable Whith 802 to may find that where it was came from !
of course S1 (marantz) isn't a reference source but maybe make change the bass!
what is your opinion about ASR ?
your choice is intresting , be happy whith this wonderful upgrade .
Ps68, please, the 802Ds crush the Martin Logan Spires any day of the week. I demo'd the MLs and couldn't believe how small the sweet spot was, if there was one. Sit slightly off-axis and the entire soundstage was a mess. Bass integration was a joke. Sadly the Spires reminded me of those cheap Bose sat sub systems in terms of bass "integration". I wouldn't pay $2K for the ML Spires, let alone $8K. I'd say the OP has made a fine choice in his speakers.
Hi Ps68
what do you think about ASR bass softness that i said ?
i don't think that it was from ASR !
it's hard to belive that ASR could't have clear precise bass !
what is your experience whith Emitter II?
Thanks
Dylanhenry,

Your comments regarding the differences in character between the two speaker models in question clearly displays incorrect ancillaries and set up. I do spend time with both models, admittedly in different rooms. The Spire is a truly convincing design, the sweet spot that you refer to is for one listener, as with most esl's, and also many dynamic designs. This is no a design fault, but an indication of the complexity of human hearing. The bass integration is no issue, ML have worked very hard for many years to get this right. With the B&W, this is a design i want to love so much, as it combines many of my own ideals. I have been trying to extract the same level of conviction from a pair of 802's with various electronics, but so far have not achieved this. Hearing them at B&W's factory with Classe amps was good, but not great.

I have also not suggested that Mehrdad try panels, i only suggest that there are better options for the Emitter to drive. Your demo sounds like a very poor set-up, as your comments are not reflective of the products capability.

Merhdad,

I have spent little time with Emitter 1, and considerable time with Emitter 2. I dont imagine the 1 to have soft bass. I have a colleague that uses Manger speakers, with Emitter 1 and 2, he is uk distributor for both brands, i can put your concerns to him, and will reply asap.

The Emitter 2 has very well controlled bass, very deep, even with my Spire's, it will shake my room, but always with a tight grip. The Emitter 2 is simply the best amplifier i have heard, there are others that do work incredibly well, but are double the cost. The best input is single ended into the Direct input socket.

Please let us know how you get on?

Regards,
Ps.
Dylanhenry,
Quote you have previously made yourself:

People's taste differ, but certainly anyone that introduces into the conversation terms such as "crazy" and "joke" knows little about speakers and even less about expressing themselves.

Now, back to Merhdad's questions..

Best Regards,
Ps.
Ps68,

You are correct in a way where setup and ancillaries male a difference. Perhaps you have not had the pleasure of listening to these speakers exactly measured in a dedicated room woth first rate electronics. I state this overlooked fact from my responses, I have had B&W 802's with tubes and B&W800's, still do, with tubes and the system sounds glorious. I have demoed custom built amps, ML33H's, ASR's (amps and phono), big giant Krells's, various Avalon speakers, MBL101's, Wilson Watt Puppy 7's, and a host of other electronics. But at end of the day, it was the tubes and 800's that sounded the best to me. I know from my own experience and base my statements about those experiences, I am sure there are plenty of speakers out there that initially might sound better because they were setup properly or had the best synergy from the other electronics. Lets be honest here, how many people "Really" get to here electronics or speakers at home to make an informed decision based on their own room and setup? Not that many and of those that do, how many really have the sepakers setup properly to conduct a proper audition. It is not impossible, but it takes time, lots of time.

The OP will find that out when he attempts to demo at home. The speakers that stand out in the shop, might not be the best ones at home, and you are correct about it all being about personal taste, but in addition, the amount of synergy that all of the combined components bring to the table is what the listener is going to focus one.

Bottom line, YES, the ASR can drive the B&W802d's and easily, the same thing can be said about the electronics, there are better electronics from my perspective at the same price point.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life
thanks for all answers
I suddenly went to a trip to see one of my friend , when i found that he got ASR emitter 1 to try with willson
Maxx4 recently !
he wants to go for emitter 2 but emitter 1 easy drived Maxx !
you were completely right , emitter with maxx , manger107& 109 treats in same way with almost same volume !

i write moor when will try it soon
Good luck
I drive 801Ds with an Emitter 1. It has no problem shaking the room if that is what you desire. I've not heard the Emitter 2 but have no wish or urge to upgrade. It is an excellent amp with great resolution and control. It replaced a Pass X350.5 for me and before purchase I compared Lamm 1.2s preferring the life and tonal variety of the Emitter 1. If it can drive 801's it will drive 802s I think.

best
Thanks man
I think you are right.I will receive them about
two weaks later. What about your cable experience ?
I am thinking to cardas