As A Youngster, What Unit Puqued Your Interest In All This?

I figure a lot of us here started hearing music through stand-up furniture stereos and/or composite units (mine was a Craig tt, receiver, 8-track). Then, one day I saw and listened to my cousin’s Pioneer Spec amps (with equalizer and oscilloscope) supporting a Beogram 4004. He also had a Teac R2-D2, but it was the 4004 that had the ever-lasting magnetic effect. What piece of equipment got you?

nicholsr

When I was 14, I saved up all the money I made working in the back room of my uncles liquor store sorting return bottles and bought a Panasonic compact stereo system with a built in cassette recorder, BSR turntable, am/fm tuner and speakers for around $200.00. When I turned 16 and started working at Burger Chef and was making better money, I sold my Panasonic to a co-worker and bought my first real stereo system.  It was a 20wpc Sansui receiver, Sony Dolby Cassette Deck, Garrard turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge and a pair of Bozak bookshelf speakers.  2 years later I started working in that store that would last another 15 years.  I was constantly buying better equipment.  The disease never left me. 

Waytoomuchstuff ,,I was one of those other guys hanging around David Beatty.  Great place and great time.

My roommates brother brought home Sansui gear from being stationed in Korea. 
Wow.   ‘74, my brother in law sends me Sansui gear from the PX in Guam.  Later ‘74, in college, working at a new dinner theater.  I walked into the dining room as the busboys are setting up.  They had The Doobie Brothers playing thru 2 Voice Of The Theaters @30 feet up center stage.  It just rewired my brain. Nothing else has ever sounded like that.  I remember that moment in time.

For the next near 50 years, same Sansui 2000x, and turntable. Same sweet wife. On retirement, I moved to Primaluna, VPI, Sutherland, Soundsmith, and Klipsch Cornwall’s .  I have to feel the air moving around me a bit.  Close as I’ll get to those VOTT.   Lucky guy 

I was extremely interested in sound quality starting in 1973. Purchased Technics SL1200 with Audio Technica  Shibata tipped stylus, Sony receiver with Dolby FM.

A friend that worked at that store had Pioneer Quad system with Quad Open Reel and Tapes, with 4 JBL L300s. That was pretty cool.

When I heard the Heil Plasmatronics  in 1976, I was hooked on High End from there. (I didn't get them).

This thread obviously strikes a nostalgic chord with everyone. it's a chance to travel back in time to a younger more innocent time.  For me, it was Natural Sound in Framingham, MA.  Went there with a buddy in 1974 or so, (stoned of course), and listened to stacked Quad speakers, with Mark Levinson pre and amp, and some turntable I can't remember, but nice.  I think in those days, the system was $30K!  It literally blew me away.  Whatever we listened to sounded like the band was playing right in front of us.  It was incredible.  I have been chasing that sound (or how I remember it) since I started buying equipment.  Alas, the only things that I could afford were a Harman/Kardan receiver, a Phillips Turntable (with the very cool LED lights) and ElectroVoice Speakers.  Started upgrading in college and never stopped!  But still haven't gotten that sound, although my current system is excellent.

My older brother after his freshman year in college(1977) came back for the summer with a B & O Beogram 4002 table, Yamaha receiver(don't remember the model), and a pair of large Tannoy Era Monitors with classic 12" dual concentric drivers and a ceramic Elephant shaped Bong.  If you placed one speaker on top of the other, it was the size of a refrigerator.  After a summer of that system(I was a high school freshman), I was hooked on audio.