Are there other people like me ? Amazed by their low cost system :)

Are there other people so much amazed by a relatively low cost system , they consider that is not a stopgap but instead a minimally satisfying ectasy... Each day i am amazed by my speakers and headphone... Am i deaf? Am i ignorant of high end ? Be assured that i know better system with higher acoustic experience and more refined exist ...

My point is an experienced and felt minimal threshold of acoustic qualities and well done and well realized and well manifested acoustic factors exist for me and are at play, for the price invested; so much so , i consider any upgrade way less tempting and if possible would be more, way more , costlier to appear as a real upgrade in quality... For sure an upgrade of part at low cost unbeknowst to me is possible but i must live with what i have for now but i feel no frustration at all. 😊

Am i the only one deluded in this way or enlightened in this way ? Pick your choice of word.... 😎

128x128mahgister

Showing 7 responses by deep_333

The main reason I go to audio shows is so I can have a reference to compare my system to. You get to listen to expensive and professionally tuned systems and determine where your system stands. If you don’t listen to other systems how could you possibly know? Highly recommended.

Shows/hotel rooms are terrible places to audit what some equipment is capable of. It is best that such audits happen in the houses of audiophiles with treated tweaked rooms.

The best example of this is a blind test in Spain where they had 30 audiophiles do a blind listening test of a $500 front end. A dirt cheap $200 Crown, class D amp, using the cheapest cables vs. a $12,000 front end. Conclusion of the test: 1/3 picked the cheap system...1/3 picked the expensive system ...1/3 couldn’t tell a difference.

The buffoon in the white coat getting high n mighty on the linked vid doesn’t seem to understand that there is a big difference in the test subject pool.

For example, i have 5 violins, an instrument i’ve been closely associated with for 40+ years. I could play something on two of them and no one in the room would hear a difference between the 2 instruments. But, i sure as hell can...If you played some violin solos on different equipment, it is fairly easy for me to pin point which is which. Play something else like....some twangy country or Diana Krall squealing away and i could give a rats behind on what i heard or not, failed a blind test or not.

It would be silly to say that every test subject out there is trained the same way, has the same ears. The typical "audiophile" is maybe not the best test subject if you wanna get hardcore with the blind test (play it to the bone).

For sure you are right in my book... 😊 Discarding all audiophiles with blind test is as silly as approving all of them ... We must learn how to hear and how to listen  all our life...Especially if we are not acousticians or maestros or skilled musicians...

There is a certain caliber of professional out there, i.e., their entire livelihoods on a daily basis are dependent on how trained and astute their ears are. Here is an example of an individual who would make for a good test subject...if vocals are being tested perhaps (would translate to equipment just fine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6_Lk9E7gE&t=616s

I am merely a hobbyist musician w.r.t one specific instrument, i.e., my livelihood is not dependent on it. I know many other professional musicians (golden eared dudes) who are extremely skilled at what they do. When a list of such test subjects are compiled, the ASR white coat buffoon running blind tests with some agenda will be put in his place.

Do you really think a group of 70+ year old audiophiles/gear tweakers have the same ability to participate in blind tests like pro musicians and the like? It is simply not possible.

The late Ken Ishiswata could pass blind tests on high enough hires sample rates that no one could discern. Does every forum audiophile have that type of training/hearing? No, he doesn't.

Aren’t you from a rich country called Canada man? You should be able to afford 3k or 4k every few years, at the least? If you are from Sudan or Guatemala and said you can’t afford much, I’d believe you.

Are you from an arrogant country where you take the right to lecture people about their goal, needs and budget and about what they like to do in life?😁

We ain’t arrogant, we just have some scary thugs like the CIA who operate beyond our democratic reach and can target the immense riches of stingy rich countries. 😂

On a different note, you’ve been at this forever... long before this thread started. It’s OK to enjoy barrel bottom speakers and convince yourself psychologically that nothing else is better, but, cmon man, atleast get a subwoofer...Next thing i’ll hear is that it’s somehow more nirvana without it. ...But, on that same note, you’ve been praising BACCH for ages now on all kinds of threads. Did you buy it eventually? Or still theorycrafting? Is Trudeau asking the Canadians to claim they’re poor again, as they stash away their immense riches whilst living in fear of big daddy by the border? Bwaaaahahaha

If you had read so much my threads attentively...

You know that i disliked headphones but i MODIFIED my AKG K340 , which is even if you dont know it one of the most interesting design and the only one hybrid with an internal acoustic grid of tuned resonators .. With it i enjoy an "out of the head" speakers like effect already and i experience all spatial qualities which will be enhanced by the BACCH system in his relative way for reasons i will not explained here ...

I am not poor having no debts by the way... I am not rich either ...

But my goal in life dont concern you...

I prefer listening music since i was creative enough to reach this minimal acoustic satisfaction and i am no more frustrated by sound factors lacking or unbalanced...

I cannot afford 10,000 albums of music and many thousand of books and bought so your called high end system ...😊

Acoustics knowledge is the key.... Go on buying gear ....my creativity is enough for me and for others...

Headphones can sound good because they can cut the room’s confoundance out. But, they are very restricted. You can’t feel the music in the entirety of your physicality with headphones (ear huggers), like you can with a hifi system.

If you’re running a pair of speakers without a sub, you are missing entire lower octaves of music contained in some of your recordings. No matter what acoustical interventions and positional eq’ing you may have done, it is highly unlikely that you’re fully addressing room modes and so on without deploying subs. The acoustical satisfaction is sliding down a bit there, in light of all the above mentioned. 😁

On the same note, I am not a high end snob. I have gear at different price brackets including high end gear. But, i usually don’t buy high end gear at full price and take the big L on resale. I buy it used or at killer deals so i can cut even when i sell it. When i do find something at a lower price bracket that can keep up or beat it (due to trickle down, technological advancements, etc), i sell the newly sonically obsoleted high end gear and get my money back. Later on, if i find some high end again that’s mind blowing, i’ll buy it and then i’ll beat it over time with the lower priced gear (as things improve), get my money back, etc. That’s the cycle i operate on.

There is rarely a thing called a poor product these days among competent gear. There is only a thing called the poor value for price product.

There is a price to pay if we neglect to study and experiment with acoustics... ( not to mention mechanical and electrical embeddings controls)

Yes, so we will maintain Mahgister’s acoustically tweaked out splendid room as the baseline.

____BASELINE - MAHGISTER’S ACOUSTICALLY ENHANCED ROOM ____

Now, there is an experiment that can be conducted to test Mahgister’s amazement with his low cost system.

It will be conducted as follows:

- Maghister sits with a blindfold in his room so he can’t tell what speakers/electronics were brought into his room and what they cost.

- We will do a couple of swaps on Mahgister’s favorite tracks between his amazing low cost gear and the other test pieces that are brought in.

If Maghister picks his low cost gear as the truly amazing satisfying system over and over (as he sits blindfolded), then, that’s all there is to it.

But, if Maghister picks other gear that someone else brought in for the test (after he heard it in his room), Maghister could get exposed in front of all the audio nerds. Only Trudeau could possibly console the great Mahgister and control the ensuing prose, thereafter. 🤣

-- Second I called minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold a minimum threshold with enough balance between all factors implicated to be able to make possible a minimal satisfaction level relative to the gear designs used

Yeah, whatever, your so called "minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold" is a moving threshold/target. It is not static depending on how many points of reference and exposure to higher performance gear, one may accrue over the years. Once you’ve lived with/tasted the latter, satisfaction with the junk one may have started with in their journey begins to dissipate.

I dont like spammers and i dont like ad hominem attacks by revengeful people

You are indeed a highly "imaginative" (to put it nicely) fella. Bye now.