Arcam AVR850 - Fault 01

Hello all,

Recently I purchased a brand new Arcam AVR850 from BestBuy. it's one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard. I have a set of B&W 804D2. The sound is perfect!

I listen to a lot of music, from now and then the amplifier is failing with the error: Fault 01. the system shuts down and I need to turn it on again. it happens a few times a day.
What should I do? I like to receiver and want to keep it.

I have brand new wires and there are no other speakers attached to that amplifier.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Gil

gilge
The malfunction is not going away and you should get it professionally assessed and fixed by a qualified tech pronto.

ISSUE (1) WITHOUT PREJUDICE TO THE FOLLOWING POTENTIAL ISSUE (2)

(1) Google the ARCAM 850 F1 fault and there is a series of commentaries that it’s an HDMI output fault. All AVRs are prone to them with a tsunami of complaint posts on AGON and CANUCKAUDIOMART. I had the very top CAMBRIDGE AVR that required a warranty repair twice in 25 months from new ( a large issue with a full motherboard replacement) . Thankfully it was covered by distributor warranty each time before I sold it after the 2nd occurrence. It’s a potential major job ...let the experts sort it out.

(2) ANOTHER CONTEMPORANEOUS POTENTIAL ISSUE . I had a similar on again off again power issue in an integrated amp - There was an intermittent new arcing from a failed solder joint in the main board that was an easy identification for a tech and a cheap 1 hr labor charge ($100) to fix it. ( it was not under warranty ) The MAIN ISSUE was a potential fire hazard in the making and to ignore it further was not an option. Failing power issues are not issues to wish and hope for a non-professional DIY quick fix.

It looks like you have two simple options:

(1) IF ITS UNDER WARRANTY .., get approval in advance from the ARCAM distributor, then pack it up properly and have it serviced by the ARCAM distributor designated and authorized repair shop.
(2) IF ITS NOT UNDER WARRANTY: Look up a qualified tech to go over the unit, and it will be the cheapest insurance you will ever shell out for, ..... full stop.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply,
the receiver is under warranty and actually, I can still return it for a full refund until 1/15/2021 (BestBuy BlackFriday sale).

I do have an update; I tried to use my old speakers. a set of Klipsch RF-62 II.
when those are connected instead of the B&W 804D2 to the receiver, there are no errors of disconnections. could be there is some wrong with the speakers? how can I verify it?

I tried to use my old speakers. a set of Klipsch RF-62 II.
when those are connected instead of the B&W 804D2 to the receiver, there are no errors of disconnections. could be there is some wrong with the speakers? how can I verify it?!!!
The problem is the AVR850 doesn't has enough power to drive the B&W 804D2 !!!
https://geoffthegreygeek.com/understanding-speaker-sensitivity/

Looks like you have your pathway forward:

RUN ...DONT WALK back to BEST BUY and dump the AVR and get your refund pronto.

if it’s an intermittent faulty HDMI handshake issue, the likely inevitable motherboard replacement will be a major job without assurance that it won’t happen again . Your unit is already a discontinued item and future repairs will be hard at a minimum and likely impossible in the near future ...ergo ... it’s a pending boat anchor.

Scope out the tsunami of failing AVR dodgy HDMI and dodgy power supplies failure Complaint Posts ( all AVRs with ONKYO leading the list ..) on AGON and CANUCKAUDIOMART . In brief, it’s not a question of “if” but rather “when” they fail. The repeated theme is if you are committed to an AVR, stick to the cheapest models as a hedge against the inevitable.

To imhififan’s comments : it is a VERY valid point without prejudice to the comments above. An AVR ...ANY AVR ... are a poor source for your new B+W speakers. The AVR is running hot with an inadequate power supply to drive the channels . That excess heat is the fatal catalyst that accelerates the dodgy motherboard HDMI input / output intermittent and ultimate total MB failures .

Consider a superior long-term solution instead of a short-term wish and hope fix with dodgy AVRs. ( it’s what I did because I lived the same repeating AVR HDMI board FUHBARs and overheating inferior power supplies jammed into the AVRs)
(a) consider a high-end 2-channel integrated amplifier with a direct pass-through to drive the LF and RF B+Ws (... a WHOLE STEP-UP in audio performance over the AVR for all 2-channel audio ...) and
(b) fill out the rest of a HT system with :
(1) a pre-owned quality build standalone 5-channel power amp to drive the other speakers, and,
(2) a pre-owned (or new ... depending on budget ) quality build stand alone 7.1 AV preamp/ processor . ( it becomes the inevitable “disposable” as the CODECS change) but you keep the power amp and integrated amp over the long run without the FUHBARs.

good luck sir.