Anyone refinished a plinth?

I have a Thorens TD 160 on the way. It has what I assume is a plinth made of particle board (?) with a thin wood veneer on top. I'd like to get a black finish with some of the wood grain showing. What are the steps? I assume starting off with a very careful sanding of the veneer to get the gloss off, and then begin the staining process?

Let me know if this is something not for the novice.

Thanks.
adnan
" Let me know if this is something not for the novice. "

I think this is what some of you actually missed. And it is regarding an older cheaply veneered (no offence) turntable plinth top not a piano black instrument with far better veneers. No offence to anyone, you obviously know your stuff but the OP doesn't and is looking for the easiest, most risk free way of doing it. With easy to find and use materials.

What ever way I hope it turns out great as doing things like this successfully will make the purchase that much sweeter.

Cheers
Probably true Has2 but he did ask how difficult it would be to do a piano black finish.
Thanks so much for the very detailed and helpful responses. I've decided to get with one of my friends who has a lot of experience woodworking, and have him help me out. When the TT gets here, I'll probably decide between refinishing the existing plinth, or starting off creating a new hardwood plinth. Thanks again!