Anyone compared the Cary 303-200 CDP with the Ayre C-5xe? Also C-5xe transport failures?

So, I've had a Cary 303-200 CDP for ages & have been extremely happy with it--one of those components that I've never really thought about upgrading, except maybe to get an SACD player, or universal player. I have a lot of the 24/96 discs on Chesky & Classic that I play on an old Pioneer DV-525 DVD player--& they sound pretty amazing on that cheap player. Maybe one option would be to get a DAC for the Pioneer? But then still no SACD capability, but I have only 6 or 8 SACD's.

I've been intrigued by the Ayre C-5xe for 2-3 years now. I've read all the reviews, & discussions here & on other audio sites. There's a silver one for sale now for a fair price that looks beautiful, & the seller seems good from the messages we've exchanged. I've also emailed someone at Ayre who's been very helpful.

But here's the thing: They no longer have any of the Pioneer transports for the C-5xe in case one fails. The guy at Ayre said the transports commonly last for 7-10 years, & this particular unit was mfg. in 2007. The only way is to buy a used Pioneer DV-45A & take the transport from that (& how old would that be)? Or, the lasers seem to be available, but then you need to send the unit back to Ayre to perform a full calibration on the laser again.

There are probably guys here that all that wouldn't faze them. But it's making me a bit nervous about making a $2000+ purchase. Another, cheaper idea is just to buy an old Pioneer DV-45A--they're supposed to sound very good on SACD & 24/96 discs, & maybe get a DAC. And still play CD's on my great sounding Cary CDP.

Any thoughts? TIA

Rest of my system: Bryston B100-SST int. amp, Totem Mani 2 Sig. speakers, quality cables & IC's, etc.

steveaudio

Showing 1 response by dbphd

My C-5xeMP has played without fault for years.  I had been using a Sony 5400ES and an Esoteric before the Ayre won me over.  I use balanced connection to a preamp, currently an Ayre A7e integrated.  Although I now mostly listen to Roon files via ethernet to a QX-5/20 or Blue-rays played using a DX-5 DSD, the C-5 still sounds superb in the living room setup.