Any Drawbacks to COD

Are there any drawbacks to selling and item and shipping it COD?
ehoehn
The only time I am willing to go COD as a seller is if the buyer is willing to pay the shipping fees up front.A guy I knew who bought and sold audio gear for a living turned me on to that idea.I never go that route as a buyer.
Tim
O.K. here's a funky C.O.D. story.... A A'gonR was listing a Dac for an elderly non computer using Audiophile buddy of his. The ad stated that all dealing would be with his friend via phone. COD was the only way I could buy it, so like "Elizabeth" stated "The UPS will NOT let me inspect the goods before paying COD, So it could be a box of bricks anyway" Was a major concern for me, as he insisted on a Bank Cashiers Check upon delivery. He personally had no sales feedback to check, no pictures of the item nothing. So I took the chance, the unit shows up in another manufacturers box, & I was sweating!!! I hand the UPS driver my check, & she tells me NOT NEEDED THIS ISN'T A COD??? I open the box, it's everything he mentioned, & a $500.00 extra factory option that he forgot! So I called him, asked him if his name was Santa Claus? He said he was sweating it out for 3 days, as he lost my name, & phone number!

Funny Huh? Almost a free $5000.00 mfrp DAC! So of course I sent him the funds asap, as a mistake like that could happen to anyone! I can't remember who his Agon buddy was as I did leave him positive feedback, but he didn't for me as I guess he didn't know why, or what mine was left for? So whom ever is Dave Scoville of Elkhart Indiana's Agon buddy the feedback was left for his DAC!
When I buy equipment I always insist on COD, I don't feel comfortable sending cashier check to a stranger. This way if the box is full of bricks, you have a chance to cancel the Cashier Check.
I also had an experience like Audiobugged. I bought a piece of equipment from an Audiogoner for $1500 COD. When the UPS guy arrived, he said there was no COD, no funds due, wouldn't take my money orders.
Naturally, I called the seller, told him what had happened, and dropped the money orders in the mail to him.
I guess UPS doesn't always know COD means . . . COD!
I personally have never used COD.

I have paid for most of my purchases with PayPal or with USPS MO. If the item is large in $$, I usually contact the seller/buyer, and get a real feel for them.

I had a pair of KEF 107.2's that I had one guy 'so interested in' if I would send them COD.... well, I refused, and asked for at least 1/2 up front for shipping.... he insisted he sent it. Well, it never got there, and he stopped returnng my calls after a while...several weeks....

I will not use COD.

Ken