Any audiophile use computer (MacBook) as your audio streaming source?

I rarely see any audiophile talking about streaming audio digital sources from a computer. I understand MacBook can accept native lossless formats form all the various platforms, and it can store unlimited music files in any format, so supposedly it’s the best source, and the digital file is the most purest before it’s fed to the dac. Anyone compared the sound quality of computer vs other audio streamer? 

randywong

Definitely experiment with your cabling. The streamer you have should be blowing the water out of your PC.

We use an old MacBook Pro just for streaming.  It runs to a Schitt Eitr and then to a MHDT DAC.  Is it as good a sound as the CDP going through the DAC?  No but its not bad.  We mostly listen to NPR, WWOZ, and FlacBlues. No Spotify or other streaming services.

Occasionally we listen to hi rez files via ITunes.

I use a MacBook Pro connected via USB to a Hermes DDC connected via I2S to a Pontus II.  I think it sounds excellent.  I had a HiFi Rose 250a before the Denafrips stack that sounded really good but not as good as the laptop and Denafrips.  I recently purchased a WIIM Pro and tried that in place of the laptop.  The laptop sounded better to my ears.  I don’t doubt others when they say they hear a significant difference between laptop/computer and dedicated streamer but I have yet to better my current setup.  I am interested in listening to a much higher end streamer, like an N200 to see if that makes the leap everyone keeps talking about..  I have a local shop that will loan me one to audition.

Not having used a computer for streaming, only a lowly Bluesound node, I also agree with the majority that a dedicated streamer likely sounds better.