Any audiophile use computer (MacBook) as your audio streaming source?

I rarely see any audiophile talking about streaming audio digital sources from a computer. I understand MacBook can accept native lossless formats form all the various platforms, and it can store unlimited music files in any format, so supposedly it’s the best source, and the digital file is the most purest before it’s fed to the dac. Anyone compared the sound quality of computer vs other audio streamer? 

randywong

I have used both apple and pc as my sources. The quality of sound from my streamer is definitely superior if only due to how much cleaner the sound is without all the extra processing noise being generated by the cpu/sytem as it was being a cpu for other things not related to music...

@jetter Trust me, that guy is probably the only one who would make such a bullying statement on Audiogon for now. Just ignore him. When a mad dog barks at you, do you bark back? No—you ignore it and walk away like nothing happened. It shouldn’t bother you or anyone else.

That said, to be fair, I moved from a fanless MacBook to a dedicated streamer and noticed a clear improvement in sound quality. There are affordable devices like the Wiim Pro/Plus on Amazon with a hassle-free return policy. It comes with GEQ/PEQ and room correction that probably only exists in much higher end streamer. Give one a try to see if your system reveals better sonic attributes...

Definitely experiment with your cabling. The streamer you have should be blowing the water out of your PC.

We use an old MacBook Pro just for streaming.  It runs to a Schitt Eitr and then to a MHDT DAC.  Is it as good a sound as the CDP going through the DAC?  No but its not bad.  We mostly listen to NPR, WWOZ, and FlacBlues. No Spotify or other streaming services.

Occasionally we listen to hi rez files via ITunes.