Any Advice for those Listening to Youtube Reviewers?

I’d like to recognize that it takes a great set of self promotional skills to become successful in the Youtube world. That said most of the audio reviewers I’ve seen don’t have the experience to review, or the kind of space that would really allow gear to shine.

Most of them start of with K-Mart like gear, did their formula and got popular, and jumped far up the audio food chain. Of course everything they review is going to be great compared to the Service Merchandise system they sold last year.

Just throwing it out there that people should be careful listening to these guys that are mostly working for the views/money (not that some aren’t passionate).

Anyone else seeing this?

bjesien

Showing 2 responses by p05129

The OP is flat out wrong about the better internet reviewers. Kmart gear, really? Have you seen Jay's Audio equipment? Jay has spent more on room acoustics than most magazine reviewers paid for their reference gear. I would listen to the better internet reviewers over ANY of the magazine reviewers for a few reasons.

1) When was the last time you saw a negative review of any piece of equipment in a magazine review? Never (except the for the botched Totem review done by a magazine 10-15 years ago). Why did a magazine have to add a column in their Axpona review last year that was on the worst sounding rooms? It's because a few of the internet reviewers already made those claims months earlier so they didn't want to look bad. BTW:a couple of those rooms had a couple hundred thousands of $$$ worth of equipment that this magazine just gave glowing reviews on the month before.

2) Most magazine reviewers rooms are terrible, no acoustic treatment, no special speaker positioning because of tight quarters, and even 1 magazine reviewers positioned the equipment in the corner because of space issues. Most don't even have dedicated rooms. 

3) The OP claims the YT reviewers get paid for each review. Really, you know that for a fact? Can you say the same about a magazine review? How about selling ad space? How about giving the reviewer huge discounts for the gear if they want to purchase it? Aren't these incentives? Would a manufacturer keep buying ad space if they keep getting negative reviews? Maybe their is a coincidence why there are no negative reviews.

In all other magazine reviews of other products: cars, stoves, refrigerators, you name it, there is only 1 product that is the best, the others come in 2nd, 3rd, on down. Never will you see this in a magazine review. What ever product they are reviewing, its the best of the best.

“It seems most people will never get that audio is not about the gear pieces but about how to learn to listen...”. IMO, if you know how to listen, you would know that the better equipment makes a bigger difference in sound quality! It’s like taking a Honda accord to the racetrack. Even if you are the best driver in the world, you will not beat a rookie in a F1 car.

If you have a pioneer receiver, I don’t care how you listen, the sound quality will be crap. If you truly know how to listen, you will hear differences in cables, room treatment, different price ranges of amps, dacs, preamps, etc… But hey, if you can’t hear the difference between entry level equipment and the better higher end equipment, that’s cool, you just saved yourself some money. Me, I’ll spend the money on better equipment to get the best sq I can for the money invested, same goes for cars, homes, appliances, we’ll just everything