An ideal (minimal) 2.1 setup

Thinking about my next ideal 2.1 setup that compliments my 77" OLED. This is an all rounder for music (jazz, rock, funk) and movies. The sub is secondary. Narrowed it down to two choices:
• KEF LS50W II ($2500)
• Spendor A4 + Hegel H120 ($6500)
hellogoodbye

Showing 2 responses by james633

When you say movies do you want the loud theater type of sound? If so I think the kefs hight run out of steam even crossed at 80hz. Or at least struggle to keep up with the subs output at high levels. 
As for the Kef sound. The kefs have a very wide soundstage that still has good center focus and are very neutral. The down side of the kefs is they lack dynamics and the highs lack refinement to my ear. I have always passed on Kef when directly conspired to competitors of the same price. Tue LS50 might be the exception as they are pretty cheap for what you get. But at the Reference 1 level and up I would take different brands. Just my opinion. 

The QLED abs oled are pretty comparable unless you are a video nut. In a normal room the bright lee QLED will be better. In a dark room the oled pulls way with deeper colors and blacks. But in a dark room you should movie to a projector for the real movie experience imo.
Anyway you should listen to the kefs. They get universals praise but I don’t find them every involving or particularly good. They really lack dynamics to me. Subs will not really fix that. Again a lot of people love them. Just depends on what you are used to. The active kefs might be better at dynamics.
For casual movies any of these speakers will be fine. For legit home theater bigger the better. Phantom center is better IMO and even in my detonates media room I use phantom center.