Amps

Just wondering is it harmful to leave your amp on all the time so its ready to rock and roll when you get home ? Or does it shorten its life span ? Thanx.

801d

Here’s a fun anecdote. I always left my McCormack amp on because it didn’t burn a lot of electricity and it was always warmed up and ready to listen to whenever I wanted. Also, I noticed that light bulbs tend to blow out mostly when I turned them on indicating that the stress of turn on/turn off wasn’t a good thing. My amp, that I bought used in 1998, worked fine until 2019 when it succumbed to a known defect in the input board, and short of that the amp would probably still be going strong. Fast forward to now when I decided to have SMcAudio repair/upgrade my amp, and as part of the upgrade they turn the on/off switch into a dummy switch that only controls the LED light on the front panel and nothing else just to let the “significant other” know the amp is on. Basically, whenever the amp is plugged in, it’s on. They do this because they firmly believe that turning their amp on and off greatly reduces its longevity, and they said my light bulb analogy is an apt one. Take this for what it’s worth, but when guys who build damn good amps tell me this I take it seriously, and my own personal experience bore this out. Unless I’m running tube amps or Class-A solid state amps without a low bias switch I’m leaving my amp on 24/7 unless I’m leaving for a week-long vacation. Just my $0.02 FWIW.