Amazon music vs Qobuz

I’m currently using Qobuz for streaming music. Amazon music is considerably less than Qobuz but I’m wondering what the differences are. Amazon goes on and on about commercial free music. Which makes me wonder how much is commercial free. Qobuz is 100% commercial free. 

z32kerber

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I use streaming primarily for auditioning recordings.  If I really like it I then buy a download or a CD.  I use an Android phone but my wife has an iPhone.  She had a free Apple Music subscription and started to make playlists, etc and then the subscription vanished and she was upset.  I tried to interest her in Qobuz but it was a leap too far for her.  So I canceled my Qobuz and we have anApple Music subscription for $10 less a month than my single Qobuz.  Qobuz did sound a tick better but Apple sounds better than Spotify, for example, and so far it’s fine.  Interesting, Apple Music works much better on my Android phone than Qobuz did , so I actually listen to it more while driving than I did with Qobuz.

I did the free Amazon trial and it sound’s fine as well.  I could have lived with it if my wife had wanted to go that direction 

@mapman 

fwiw, I was listening to the same recording (Klaus Tennstedt conducting the London Philharmonic in Mahler Resurrection Symphony from the LPO house label) played both on AirPlay and Chromecast yesterday.  Streamer is Cambridge Audio CXN 60, source was Apple Music.  For some reason my Android phone wasn’t able to cast to the streamer, but my Android tablet was able to.  I had to charge tablet up so while that was occurring I used an iPad, which apparently won’t do Chromecast afaik, so I used AirPlay to the CA while awaiting the charge on the Android tablet.

Chromecast easily beats AirPlay.  The work starts arrestingly with violin tremolos followed by slashing double basses, which were much fuller with Chromecast and threadbare on AirPlay. The mid range was much fuller on Chromecast..  And while I don’t have a CD for this particular recording, in the past I’ve done comparisons with CD vs AirPlay and found AirPlay to be wanting in comparison, albeit a step up from Bluetooth .