Amazon just killed Tidal

Today Amazon released Amazon Music Unlimited HD streaming for $12.99 per month for  Amazon Prime members.

There is a free trial.

Streaming is in CD and High Rez quality!

50 million songs!

Just started my subscription. More info later.
don_c55
I have been subscribed to Tidal for well over 3 years now . I tried spotify and (amazon when it first came out) and was not satisfied with the sound quality . Tidal has gotten better over time although I still dislike it's push on hip hop.. Furthermore I dislike even more it's push on MQA.
It's nice to finally have an alternative. 
 I dislike Amazon's misleading "HD" terminology regarding standard "CD" quality sound . Unfortunately the average dummy will buy into it cause they were also happy with the previous mp3 format.. 
This being said I'm extremely happy that they (Amazon) are not utilizing MQA.  MQA should have been dead on arrival and hopefully this may be a final nail in its coffin. 
More choice is always better for the consumer.. For now Im sticking with Tidal but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.. 
I have been using Qobuz for over a year, very pleased with sound quality. I decided to take up Amazon on the 90 day free trial of Amazon Music HD.

First realize that Amazon Music HD is crippled compared to Tidal and Qobuz because it cannot use Wasapi exclusive mode. It is using Windows mixer in shared mode. Since your DAC cannot take control you have to set the rate and depth for each song you play in Windows mixer, hardly convenient.

Sound quality is deficient comparing same tracks in Amazon to Qobuz. I am hearing loss of resolution, sound stage depth and imaging. The differences are not subtle. The more resolving your system is the easier it is for you to hear the difference in quality.

I doubt Amazon will ever open their API so there could be integration with Roon and Audirvana. Hopefully they will at least update the desktop app so it can run in Wasapi exclusive mode. Saving ten dollars a month compared to Qobuz is irrelevant when the sound quality is not equal.

My advice? Stay with Tidal or Qobuz for a few months until we see if Amazon is going to listen to customer feedback. If/when exclusive mode is enabled then sign up for the free trial and compare. Don't swallow the audio press kool aid and think Amazon Music HD will put Tidal and Qobuz out of business, no way that happens with sound quality as is today.
Exdmd.
Have you tried Amazon streaming through either mobile app?
I did not even know they had a desktop app .. Lol.
From my iPad direct into the USB audio input of my Ayre sounds pretty good to my ears.
Not Qobuz yet I admit but I will take their 90 days free trial and see how it improves in that time frame.