Amazon HD Lower Price

Amazon has lowered it's price $5.00 for it's HD service to 7.99 for prime users. With Apple also now offering a HD service the competition is heating up. Will Tidal and Qobus follow and lower their prices? 
hifijunky

Showing 6 responses by omm0910

It's only a matter of time until Qobuz and Tidal become irrelevant. Amazon, and now Apple, and probably soon Google Play music, want this market. Last time I checked they had rather more money, customers, and additional products that they can tie into, compared to Qobuz and Tidal. They can keep the price low for years until they bleed out. Frankly they are not even on Amazon Apple and Google's radar. They are dead men walking. As consumers we will benefit from the lower prices from this competition. 
Go with Apple then, which also just announced hifi upgrade. They claim to protect your privacy and claim to collect less data. 

Google is going to have the best AI for recommending music. But they will collect everything about you. They still haven't stepped up on high bitrate yet either. I think they have to, I think they want this market and they'll just have to offer what Again and Apple offer.
Apple has about 200 billion dollars in spare cash laying around. Google (Alphabet) 135 billion. 

How much does Qobuz have? 

Prices will remain punishingly low. They'll bleed Qobuz for a while, then someone will will acquire them in a fire sale, mostly to get their subscribers, and possibly a few of their coders. Ditto Tidal. Even Spotify. Even if they could come up with some new feature, the big dogs could just copy it. I don't see a new business model for them either. All they can do is pray to sell to the highest bidder.

See the fact, and start transitioning now. True, there are reasons to distrust any or all of, Apple, Amazon, Google. I see Google as the lesser of the evils, and I see them as having the best AI prowess, but they haven't announced a hi-fi tier for Google Play music yet, though I think they have to.
It's nice to see for a change, while it lasts, the consumer benefit from competition, stimulating both lower prices, and technological innovation.