AI-Written Stereophile Articles

Has anyone else noticed that some of Stereophile's articles are sounding decidedly "off" and just plain badly written? I have now read several that sound suspiciously like they're AI generated (bizarre phrasing, odd syntax, etc.). Just curious if others are noticing the same.

bojack

A few years ago, a reviewer posted a link to a review he had just written for one of the major audio publications, I can't remember which one, on another audio forum.  I read the first paragraph of the review, which consisted of a long string of words and a period at the end.  I must of reread it a dozen times, trying to figure out if it actually qualified as a sentence.  It just seemed to be a series of clauses without any point.  I asked him on the audio forum if it was actually a sentence.  He said, "no, it's not, and it wasn't meant to be one."  I'm all for creative writing, and poetic license, but there has to be a coherent idea in the writing for me to read it.

I feel your pain...

Years ago (before starting my own business in the 90's) I was a publications writer and editor for a division of a large corporation. I got the job because every pub they issued I would mark up with all the errors they had made, and they had to recall and republish it.  They figured my salary would be less than the incessant reprinting costs and they would save money by having me do it right the first time.  My daughter followed a similar path and is a published author and magazine editor.  

My current source of amusement in my retirement years is to "read" pulp Sci-Fi creations on YouTube, where the voice will seldom pronounce the same word the same way twice, the scrolling script will have a different spelling for repeat uses of the same name or descriptive term, and it is very easy to work out that what the author had actually intended is often a third variant!  I currently consider "AI" to stand for Almost Intelligible.   YMMV has morphed into "Your Meaning May Vary". 

I see a direct parallel between the current state of AI writing skills to be equivalent to typewriters 50 years ago that tried to write in cursive.  Both were hyped to be faster than what they tried to replace, but neither made a good first impression.

I've read terrible English-language writing, spelling, grammar, syntax, etc all over the internet and all over society for decades now; AI was not required for it; if anything, it might be better than what I read from a lot of humans. 

😏...as a known abuser of the Anguished Stranglage, I can safely claim that any AI that would post the things I’ve done and may do in the future.....

...would have gotten a C/Format input early on.....

Being the organic biped I is....too messy to deal with on a permanent basis.... ;)

...at least y'all can rest easier, knowing I do whatIdo on purpose, rather than a 6th generation machine learning cycle....

They've been discovered that they 'forget'.....*LOL*