Advice on next step for vinyl chain

Hi everyone. I have been listening to digital and working on my digital setup for a few years now. Recently I inherited an old Kenwood turntable and I have a pretty large record collection from earlier years. I have been trying to set up a vinyl chain. It has been a real joy - even liked the pops and scratches at first. Can I ask some advice about cartridge choice, or even whether a new cartridge is the way to go? The current chain is: Kenwood KD-5070, Ortofon Blue MM cartridge, Parasound JC3+ phono pre, ARC LS25 II preamp, McIntosh MC 462 power amp, either B and W 803 matrix II or Celestion 700 speakers. The B annd W are a bit sharp and fatiguing, so I will be looking to switch to other speakers before long, something with the upper end of the Celestions but with bass (Harbeth?). I listen to big classical, chamber, classic rock, jazz, opera…

The gain on the vinyl chain is high. Have to keep the pre almost all the way down. The ARC is marginally better than using a passive pre. Thinking a moving coil would be a real improvement. Is that the way to go? Which cartridge would be a match? Thanks a lot for your help. 

arhgef

... My post was blocked by a moderator ... There seems to be no way to ask a moderator why something was blocked. Just saying.

Kindly note the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page. It works.

@arhgef don't take the blocking personally. It could be any number of not very good reasons, mainly how the rules were configured. We have to live with and accept the quirks of the site

Kind of you to say so. It was a bit disturbing for a few minutes, but audio has distracted me - my refuge as always. :)

Elliotbnewcomjr Thanks for the extensive advice and examples. Very (elpful and I will study. 

grislybutter - loved Celestions ever since the SL6si were my first audiophile speakers long ago.  Tried to build on that and came upon used 700se. The highs are really pleasing - no fatigue with great detail and tone.. Strings especially. They lack deep bass for symphonies etc, but the manual says don’t pair with subs. I have been unable to make it work with a sub as the sub dulls the imaging no matter what I do, even with really low cutoff. 700s have deeper bass extension than the 6si, which DO pair well with a sub. The 6si don’t sound as good though. I have an NHT sub. If I could ever add bass to those 700s I would be terminally happy.