Advice on Integrated Receiver

I currently have two Monitor Audio Silver 300s.  I have a Cambridge Audio CAX81 (80w/ch).  After reading the reviews, the speakers sound a bit underwhelming.  I have a Rega P6 turntable hooked up for most of the audio content.  In looking at the Max Wattage for the speakers I realize perhaps the amplifier isn't letting them breathe enough?

The speakers are rated at 200w max with recommended 80-200w RMS.   Am I way off base in thinking I'm underpowering these?

What integrated receiver would you recommend to really drive these?  Budget under $5k

bound4h

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

@bound4h 

your speakers dip below 4 ohm and might be straining your amp at moderate volume levels- for example the impedance dips below 4 ohms in the bass frequencies between 100 to 200 Hz which means those frequencies take twice as much amplifier power to produce the same volume level.  

With a 5K budget I would recommend a better, more robust amplifier as well as a better more dynamic phono preamp than the Mani which is an underwhelming sounding unit.  

The Parasound Hint 6 is a very smooth, dynamic amplifier capable of very high sound quality and has enough grunt (240 watts at 4-ohms, your speaker's demanding frequencies).  

For the phono preamp you usually get more up beat, dynamic sound when you have a more robust power supply.  The Lehmann Audio Black Cube SEII is a very dynamic robust phono preamp that has a separate outboard linear power supply and is a giant killing value at it's price.  

A new robust amp and new dynamic phono preamp will give you a huge upgrade and be suitable for your speakers which are more than capable with the right supporting system. 

The Aria is good but the Lehmann offers a better value. The power supply in the Lehmann is superior and I made good use of the bass rumble filters on it that tightened up the bass response by not wasting energy on sub sonic frequencies.

https://www.lehmannaudio.com/phono-stages/black-cube-se-ii.html