advice needed on 1st real stereo system

Hi everyone,

I am a 1st time "real" stereo buyer and would really appreciate some advice from a community of experts. I am looking for a system for my living room (about 20x20), for a wide range of music (jazz, classical, rock) and tv/movies etc.

1. I am looking at the Peachtree Decco/Nova amps. I get that the Nova has more power, but will the Decco suffice at 65 w per channel? I will not be blasting music at full volume, but does wattage also improve sound at low/moderate levels?

2. I am looking at a pair of Totem Rainmaker speakers, any thoughts on these or others?

3. Do expensive speaker cables make a difference?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!
newguy1
Again, buy used (or better, "recently discontinued")...plenty of upgraders are dyin' to unload their stuff on you, and this approach really works. Most of my gear, be it pro audio, guitar playing items, or hifi things in great condition have been relatively easy to find if you look around some. A couple of examples: A friend had a pair of Silverline Preludes bought new for $1200 or so, combined with a new small REL sub costing maybe $500. I thought that combo sounded sweet (and my speakers had "issues") so within a couple of weeks found the Silverlines for $400, and an older REL for $200. Just bought a new but discontinued Taylor guitar for $1000 less than the model that's now replacing it. Do this, and you will be happy.
Thanks- Has anyone looked at the naim unitiqute? Also seems to be a great system for digital. However, I am concerned about the low wattage (30 per channel).