Advice and recommendations needed for a turntable rig...

So I have decided to add a source (analog) in one audio system I have. I will be getting a turntable, cartridge and phono preamp. Currently DO NOT have turntable in my audio system (although some 40 years I had a Thorens TD 320 (modest belt drive TT). I like the idea of a mass loading TT and interested in a heavy TT. Looking for advice from those who have used any TT set up and why. Looking in the modest budget of $3500 price range for all components. Currently looking at a Pro-ject x8 Evolution TT with a Sumiko Blue Point #3 MC cartridge and the Pro-Ject Phono Box Ds2 phonostage (a Michael Fremer positive review).

I listen to Jazz, Blues and instrument music mostly...

128x1282psyop

I can change a cartridge and set up the replacement in twenty minutes. If I change the headshell on the one tonearm I have that uses interchangeable headshells, it takes about 10-15 minutes including the set-up of the new cartridge (the SME 309 headshells don't allow for individual overhang: that must be set by moving the arm, which is pretty simple on an SME mount). It isn't that big a deal, either way. What does matter, is that even if I achieve a 10 minute change and set-up, I cannot compare the before and after: my auditory memory is not that long.

So I approve of your two tonearm advice, with one arm capable of holding multiple headshells. When my custom Acoustand panels arrive, I'll be using four fixed headshell tonearms, and two interchangeable headshell tonearms.

@2psyop I see your OP was quite clearly stating an interest in a not too old TT deign from Project, being the X8 Evolution Model.

Well I don't know if Mr Fremer can assure one that this is there ideal TT, but if he found satisfaction from experiencing it, then I am sure you can too.

The Thread has become a ricochet, where many suggestions are putting the idea of Vintage TT's as your options, these do come with their own unique age related issues, that can quite easily be a concern.

Read my recent posts on the Yamaha GT 2000 Thread, whatever is wrote there as quality / function concerns that are risks with such purchases to be inherited extends to all Vintage TT's.   

@pindac … He said he was “Looking for advice from those who have used ‘any’ turntable set up and why.” He went on to say that he was considering the Pro-ject. I have not heard the exact model he mentioned, but I have auditioned Many Pro-ject turntables in various price categories, and frankly, I have not been impressed… EXCEPT for their RM-9, RM-10, and their entry level models, which I believe are a great value, but well below the OP’s target range. I’m not bashing Pro-ject, or anyone that loves theirs, but that’s been My experience. Regarding “age related issues”, they are certainly a possibility, but most well-designed turntables are reliable, and require little, if anything, in the way of restoring. I’m not talking about models from the 1950s & 1960s here. For example; the VPI I recommend was first available in ~2005. Not new, but other than the belt, and (unlikely) the motor, there’s not much to deteriorate due to age. New is not always better, and can actually be worse, and cost more. Just my $.02, since I am one who recommended a “vintage” ‘table. I stand by my recommendation, and many other great choices were offered. YMMV 

@krelldreams My post was not an attack on how the thread evolved, it was to inform the OP new things needed to be thought about with some of the TT's being presented, as there very very long term usage and potentially not having any knowledge of how they have been treated, creates it own new concerns.

'Caveat Emptor' - will be ones friend when treading in this area of purchasing.  

I just can't stay away from TT posts, it's an affliction. For a first TT, or the first after a long absence, I will suggest keeping it simple. Avoid Uni-pivot and viscous damped tone arms for your rookie season. Frustration is a real possibility with a TT that takes hours, or days to set up. Go with Technics. Likewise high dollar low output MC cartridges are scary fragile, and not the ticket for used records (older records were designed for elliptical, and even older records, and mono, for conical, but it's your money.... Pro-Ject seems, to me, to take the attitude that they will fix the alignment parameters for the user's cartridge, which will limit learning. I use my Orbit Theory to play test used records after cleaning. As to cleaning, I use a Spin-Clean with Tergitol's (in distilled water) recommended dilution for Spin Clean, rinse with steam distilled water (cheap) from a pressurized spray bottle over the sink, NEVER use tap water for anything when it comes to records, and never use PVC storage products. Then before putting the records in a bamboo dish rack for final air dry, I pre-dry and vacuum with a Record Dr. I try to get to each record in the collection once a year LOL. I use a carbon brush for cleaning records (dust control) just before play and I never drag a carbon brush across the grooves, never!!! (just pick it up. That little handle is how you clean the bristles, just pass it across a couple times. Don't use your fingers (oils and grunge you can't even see). Amazon sells a large package of white cotton curator's gloves for cheap, they also have boar's hair shaving brushes, and goat hair record brushes that are not as aggressive as carbon, but effective and economical, and can be used to remove particles before wet cleaning. If you have static problems the anti-static gun, like Zerostat, is effective. As to stylus care, use a designated natural hair brush designed for stylus cleaning before each play, one stroke back to front (every time!). Avoid mouse milk and snake oil on the stylus, gels, lubricants, dips, drum dampeners, kitchen cleaning pads....I don't care about the testimonials, not on my stylus. Any record cleaning is better than no record cleaning; my records from the 60's & 70's cleaned with the Discwasher pad and fluid are in surprisingly good condition. Seek contentment and fulfillment, Grasshopper, and play it loud.