advantage of seperates vs integrated

I have been thinking of a change to seperates but.. I was weighing the advantages of a seperate amp/pre as opposed to using integrated (I have use of Classe CAP 151 right now). What I'd like to go to would be all Solid State Audio Research to mate with my CD 3 Mk 2. The additional questions would be; would the ARC SS provide better bottom end to the Apogee Slant 6 I lsten to and would it also provide a deeper and wider sound stage advantage for the investment of approx. $2200-$2700 post sale of existing equipment as I listen primarily to soft rock, new age and jazz? Currently the sound is very good and very smooth, would the change be worth it? Thanks for the opinion.
rsjm80
Hi rsjm80
I think the 'small' differences can be worthwhile. Like you I listen mainly to 'rock'. 60's 70's 80's and that means Motorhead to floyd,yes,elp, genesis,king crimson; then on to classical, patricia barber, et al. So my system has to cover many bases.
I have both a intergrated and seperates. Both tube systems (yes I'm a tube head). I think it comes down mainly to the fact the power supply has to only feed 1 amplifier. If you look at intergrated and monoblocks you will see frequently even with SS the power supply transformer and capacators are not 'double in size' when compared to a mono block for the same output per channel... just gives 'subtleties' on transients
good example of this although 'OLD' google a Leak TL12plus and a tereo 20.. the same amp in two different forms.. that power transformer aint double the size
The debate will never be settled, however my mind was changed when I purchased a Neodio NR600 Signature integrated. I went from Air Tight 300b/Joule Electra ME300 seperates to the Neodio and can't be happier. So yes an integrated amp can perform with some of the best seperates.
I have always been curious about Neodio. One other poster raved about the 150. I bet the NR 1200 is very good. Not much on the net though, do they even sell them in the States?