Adding a sub. - can i start with one?

I’m pretty happy with my setup I’ve assembled over the past year. However I feel I am missing some oomph and I find I am turning up the volume a lot. My space is big (converted barn) with 18 ft vaulted ceilings and about 700 sq ft of space with hardwood floors and minimal soft furniture. 

So I am thinking adding a sub woofer will help increase the bass and maybe give me more of the kick in the sound I’m used to in my old room and prior older speakers and amp. 

I’ve read that most people add 2 subs to a system instead of one. I’d prefer to spend the 2500 per side over time and just get one for now. What’s the thinking on one channel sub vs two and can I consider going from 1 to 2 later on as another upgrade?

daveinpa

I bought 1 sub figuring I would most likely need a second one.  It proved not to be the case

Love the first response. That said the only downside of having only one sub, especially if you want the sub to add audibly to the bass, is that the imaging may distract you as the low bass might always seem to be coming from wherever the sun is despite the bass player actually being on the left or right side, so be prepared for that. 

That said, what speakers do you have and which subs are you looking at?

I’ve got Audio Physic Tempo 25 speakers and looking at the REL S/510. I like the price point of the REL and it appears to be a very safe choice. My speakers have great imaging so will be curious how a single sub impacts that. I have lots of space so I can at least play around with placement. 

Post removed 

Two are much better than one and are easier to setup.

REL are great, but you might want to check out the SVS Pro series.. they have plenty of power and the app is actually really good.

All the best.

JD