Add sub to 802D4s?

I’ve been thinking about adding a sub to my newish B&W 802D4s. They’re driven by a McIntosh 462. I love the tightness and quick response of the speakers, and I love the thump of the bass. I listen to mostly rock, new, old, alternative, and less often to chill, jazz or blues, piano or classical.  I have a friend who is quite knowledgeable that thinks it’s a bad idea, as the speakers are very capable and well balanced, so a sub would not only be superfluous but counterproductive. Any experts here agree, or disagree? 

cmb13

Which amps do you like with B&W’s? I have Mac 611 monos and feel they mate well with B&W.   Very happy with the sound, smooth, robust, and dynamic to my ears.  

I demoed the 802D4 on McIntosh MC611s and 2700 preamp. It sounded pretty good. Then I came home and listened to the same songs on my system with two subs highpassed at 60hz (Revel 228be, JL audio E112, MC462 amp). The bass was so much better on my system. It made the whole system seem better. Without question subs will improve your system. But budget for a highpass crossover if your system does not have the capability, JL CR-1 etc.

i felt the bass was fine on the McIntosh amps/802D. Some other amps may hit harder I guess but the Mac works some magic in the mids/highs with B&W. 

Wow, such varied responses! Some think it’s a major improvement, some think it’s absolutely unnecessary. Most that are in the sub camp feel two are necessary, which of course doubles the expense. Also, are we talking about 10”, or 12”? I’ll try to find a place to listen with and without them. Thanks for the responses. 

What ever sub you get make sure its adjustable because Id say some recording will like more boost then others.

Some recordings you will wan to keep clean, some need more boost and you wont care about the coloration just the punch

Two 12” subs nothing less. every octave lower requires 4 times the throw or surface area for the same SPL. Your speakers have 100in2 of surface area each and a single 12 has 113”in2. So really even larger would be better…

Anyone who thinks subs don’t matter either has very large top of the line (I mean top of the line) speaker or has failed to integrate them right. A well integrated sub never needed adjust on a track by track basis.

More to discover