Acoustically Treating a Bomb Shelter

Seriously.  My house came with a 1960s era bomb shelter.  It's a total of 2,200 square feet of Cold War Era awesomeness, basically divided into two 51X21 long rectangular rooms.

It's under a pool and pool house, easily 15 feet down. Hard concrete walls. Huge metal out swing doors that could keep out Bob Dylan looking for a string bean. 

We turned one big room into a giant pantry, wine cellar, and storage room.

The other I softened with hardwood floors, sheet rock (with foam insulation) on walls and ceiling, in that it could make an excellent apartment, being 1000 sf by itself, not counting the kitchen and bath.  And has two entrances, one at each end.  Very airy with good ventilation (and expensive filters).

It's this (now) 50 X 20 room iswhere my listening area is.  Ceilings are 14 foot sloping down (the short way on the rectangle) to 12 feet.

I've divided it into three areas of roughly equal area.  One end has a power rack and tons of free weights and whatnot.  On top of the hardwood is a protective layer, hardwood, and then rubber horse stall mats.  Kitchen and bath beyond that.

The other end is an emergency bedroom, with flip down Murphy beds, etc.  Area rug where the wife does yoga.  At its end are double metal doors, then stairs, then another metal door.

The middle third is my listening area.  Speakers and subs on the higher-ceiling side, although I could flip it.  Set up in the classic 60 degree triangle with a leather couch facing the speakers.  Chairs to the side, and a table I use as a desk behind the couch.  Area rug.  Decor: think Andy Warhol meets Austin Powers.

My thought is I don't get a lot of reflection from either the right or left side, due to the width of the room, and the stuff in each room.  I suspect I mainly get reverb off the back wall.  And perhaps the ceiling, although it is sloped up to the speakers.

I'm thinking all I need is some absorption on the back wall, immediately behind the couch/table (so facing the speakers), as I sit closer to the back wall than the speakers.   Perhaps something on the ceiling about 2/3 of the way across the room.

Thoughts?  I'd like to be informed a tad before I get involved with GIK or one of those groups.

davetheoilguy

Very cool opportunity.  Any thoughts of going Multichannel?  You have space for some theater seating, lots of space for Atmos speakers and subs. The extra speakers and DSP might help overcome some of the room limitations.  And you’ve got that wine cellar to provide the bevvies when you and the family do watch a movie.

do the normal stuff ... drop a panel on the cieling and a couple of the back wall ... better yet put some sound panels on wheels so you can move them around until you get the schweet spot

We have a home theater already in the house proper.

It’s very typical McMansion stuff put in by the owner of the home between us and the survivalist builder, straight out of the mid-2000s, albeit with a new QLED.  I suspect they walked into Magnolia and just picked the most expensive stuff they sold.  It’s certainly nice enough in a cheesy way. Made watching Into the Spiderverse awesome.

But that is for the kids and currently has a PS5 strewn across the carpet.

This is for me.

+1 on taking measurements with some software like REW and a mic like miniDSP Umik-1 that will work with that software. This way you’ll know where you are starting and can sort out the right issues instead of just putting things up on walls and ceilings. You can send your measurements to somewhere like GIK and get their input as well. I did that and they gave me comprehensive feedback. Doing so, I can make changes, take new measurements and decide what, if anything, else I want to do.