Accuphase and B&W 800 series

I own an Accuphase E-650 integrated and am thinking about moving to B&W speakers. Specifically, the 805 D4 standmounts, which are rated 88db. Despite the great reviews of the 805, I hesitate because I’ve read that these speakers need some juice to sound their best. I am aware that Accuphase class A amps are more powerful than their rated output but I would still prefer to not have to push the amp.

I also hesitate because I’ve read that the 805 does not sound best at low volume. In my house, nearly all my listening is at low to low-mid volume by necessity.

Would appreciate hearing from people who have tried this combination. Not necessarily the 650, but any of Accuphase’s class A amps. Does the amp drive the speakers well, or merely satisfactorily? Does it sound thin at low volume?

Thanks.

rfprice

@rfprice 

I can only offer a parallel experience. I tried to power my KEF Reference 1 Meta stand mounts with a Luxman Class A 590 AX II. The little KEFs require a tremendous amount of power to sound good. It was a complete disaster for me! There was no bass or body to the music, and the midrange was terrible. I consulted with a local dealer who sells Luxman, who stated that this is a terrible pairing. I sold the Luxman and went with a pair of McIntosh MC 611 monoblocks. This is an end-game system for me. 

I owned a pair of B&W 802 D3s, which require powerful amplification to make them sing. I am not sure how much of a difficult load the 804s present; however, if they are close to the KEFs, they will eat up the lower-powered Class A designs. 

Power is your friend when trying to play music with wide dynamics. No real advantage to Class A over Class A/B. Now both are challenged by the arrival of latest generation Class D amps!

@jasonbourne71 

The Class D amps have been getting my attention lately. I hope to hear some soon.