Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Playback Design Internally converts All PCM to DSD 128 which Andreas believes is sweet spot. See below

How does the MPD-8 process files?

“All digital input signals (including DSD64) are converted to DSD128 with our proprietary frequency and time domain algorithms that also includes an apodizing filter. DSD256 is processed separately. Before the DSD128 or processed DSD256 signals are converted to analog, we use another proprietary and new algorithm to convert the signal to a different format with a bit rate of 2048 (16 times DSD128).”

Why do you prefer DSD processing in your DAC designs?

“Because DSD is single bit it inherently avoids all non-linearity distortions that multibit converters have. Most of the challenges in a single bit converter are on the digital side where you can use virtually unlimited, programmable and mostly very predictable resources to tackle the job. The signal in our converters right before the actual conversion to analog is so close to being analog already, that the conversion is no challenge at all with no exotic components. That makes the system performance very consistent and predictable. Exactly the reason why SACD was launched 20 years ago

Hi @mattnshilp,

This is off topic but just a shout out for your enjoyable review of the SabrinaX in the latest issue of TAS. Keep up the great work. Congrats!

Cheers!
Jon
Thanks Jon. Positive feedback is always appreciated. I try to make my reviews as informative, honest, accurate and entertaining as I can. 👍🏻
You're doing great @mattnshilp lol.  I wish I still had my sub to TAS.  I'll have to wait until it's free to read.  Ha....

You really are a strong writer/reviewer.  Always have been and it's fun to read (and then chat about, lol. ha).