A treat for those who like classical piano

'Tamar Beraia play's Rameau'. Just outstanding. Look on YouTube. :-)

newbee

I’ve heard only the YouTube version of the Rameau & Debussy which has been highly regarded by so many folks. This was my first exposure to Rameau’s music so I can only compare it to Beraia’s YouTube performance. Not being  knowledgeable of Rameau’s music I can only say that I was much more drawn into Beraia’s ’performance’, which to me was, perhaps, a more ’romantic’ one. Her connection to the music was, by appearances anyway, more obvious than that of Olaffson and I enjoyed just watching it and as an introduction to Rameau’s music.

It would be interesting to hear both pieces as they were recorded on CD’s to see if either’s performance survived as presented on YouTube. I’ll have to order the CD’s and I will.

OP, since you're new to Rameau, I'll offer a recommendation.  Try Rameau's Une Symphonie Imaginaire, recorded by conductor Marc Minkowski with Les Musiciens du Louvre.  This is an absolutely delightful traversal of immensely entertaining music.  Spirited, fun, very well-recorded.

Olaffson is a terrific pianist.  I love his Philip Glass, and some of his other recordings.  But in my view he lacks the playful spirit that Rameau's music calls for.  I like Angela Hewitt in Rameau on piano.

I enjoy both Beraia's and Olafsson's Rameau. Each can be appreciated in their own way

On YouTube, there's an interesting compilation of 10 different pianists performing the Rameau piece, Rappel des Oiseaux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FYqwNd5kw

The best known performer of Rameau is probably Grigory Sokolov, for his amazing virtuosity.

LMAO , at myself. I have Sokolov's Rameau. Now I just have to listen to it!. :-)

I’ll have to find Hewitt Rameau.  I’ve found her Bach to be generally good but somewhat uneven.

@newbee so my first Rameau exposure was around 30 years ago when the Naxos label emerged with budget Classical CDs and greatly expanded the repertoire of previously unrecorded music, particularly Baroque.  There were a few albums of Harpsichord music that made me a Rameau convert, and later several suites of Ballet and incidental music from operas ( a lot of the aforementioned keyboard music reappeared here orchestrated).  I don’t remember the harpsichord player name and will have to check my shelves.  The playing is filled with gusto and the instrument sounds large and powerful, so Historically Informed Performance devotees may not like it, although the Orchestral suites are HIPP approved).