A previous discussion included a statement about crossover components.

The commentator stated something to the effect that some very high end speakers really cheaped out on the capacitors and resistors in their crossovers, and hinted that replacing them with high quality components might improve the sound quality of the speakers. My question is "Have you ever replaced the caps and resistors in your speakers crossovers, and to your ears did that result in better sound quality?" Also, what brands of caps and resistors do you consider to be "the best", and why?

peporter

I’ve found changing out caps can make a nice speaker sound much more enjoyable. I started out with Sonicaps there cheap and if no improvement it wouldn’t break the bank, there was a fair improvement.

After a few months I pulled them out and replaced them with clarity cap CMR’s. This was a big improvement. I then bypassed them with Miflex and Duelund with another nice improvement. The Clarity CMR’s are big so I just built the crossover outboard. I also changed from Mills to path resistors another nice improvement. I also tried the Jantzen Aluminum z’s they were nice, I even mixed and matched them with the CMR’s. I also tried the Vcap odom’s in other components and would like to try them in some speakers.

My other speakers sound very good so I’ve just left them alone but still would like to put better parts in but just haven’t and probably never will. Playing with caps and internal wiring is fun and very rewarding but where does it stop.

Surprisingly, replacing Mylars with Polypropylene or Teflon [$$$] can have more effect on the sonic signature than electrolytics.

AND if your crossovers are matched or selected per drivers, be sure to match the replacement parts to the same values.

I have an update on the upgraded crossover for my Spatial M4 Holograms. I called customer support and Clayton Shaw, the owner of the company answered the phone. I have spoken to him before, and both times I was  completely delighted. I asked him if the crossover upgrade was still available, and the answer was no, accompanied by a conversation about the whys. Turns out with the upgraded components they had to abandon the space in the built in crossover, and fabricate an external box to house the larger components So, that turned out to be an unworkable option.I told him I was going to upgrade the existing crossover parts, he immediately offered me copies of the schematics! He was genuinely excited about the prospect of upgrading the components, and thought it would be great fun.My kind of guy for sure. We also talked brands, and he pretty well agreed with The Humble Homemade Capacitor Test and the great choices presented there. It was a great conversation, and I really enjoyed it. My mind now goes to building an external plate for mounting the components.....perhaps a bit of walnut on some Herbie's Audio Lab Large Soft Fat Dots....

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2010/09/capacitor-shoot-out.html

here is another capacitor comparison , not nearly as many but still ...

he is using a tube preamp with only the capacitor in the signal path .