A comparable phono preamp

I recently bought a rouge audio rp7 preamp my amp is a bryston 4b my turntable is a linn basic with an akito tonearm with a linn adict mm cartridge mounted to it.I would like to at a later time up date it with a MC cartridge. My speakers are a pair of dynaudio special fortys with a rel s510 sub woofer. Now my preamp has no phono section nor dose the turntable. The phono preamp I have sounds cold harsh and to bright. It is a NAD PP4 and I am using it because it is what I use to record vynal to digital with a USB out. I should of bought a phono preamp when i bought the preamp .Now I am looking for a phono preamp that will give me that warm natural sound I am looking for. Can anyone suggest to me a phono preamp that will make my system sound like what I have spent to build it. TY mal11963

mal11963

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

Your Adikt cartridge has a 6.5mv output which is 30 to 60% higher than typical MM cartridges.   You need a phono preamp that has low enough gain to avoid conditions which sound as you are describing with your NAD.  

The typical gain for your cartridge by the book is 34 db. Very few preamps have gain this low- most begin around 40db of gain which could be too much.  

The Luxman E250 has 38db gain for MM which should be fine.  

The Chord Huei has user adjustable gain from 25 db to 35 db which should also be fine.

Both are of very high sound and manufacturing quality.