A Better Way to Buy Gear - Help Needed

** this is a Sale-Process question... not a Gear question**

Hi All:

I intend to upgrade my stereo this year and have located an item that I want to purchase. Unfortunately, there is a ‘snag’ -- the seller insists on receiving the money before I get to see the item.

With this introduction, I would greatly appreciate knowing your individual/collective experience and advice.  Perhaps there is a solution!

About the Sale-Process:

The seller accepts only cash or PayPal Family & Friends:  He gets the money before I get the item. 

Because I would be without PP Buyer Protection, I would be stuck with any/all repair(s).

About the item:

The item is sealed in a box (NOS), so I cannot

1. determine if it was damaged during shipping (to his house),
    2. power-up the unit and demo/confirm the functions. 
    3. verify the cosmetic appearance of the item
    4. verify that the correct item is in the box!
    5. Condition is advertised = 11/10

The item is big, heavy and expensive.  I have seen a photo of the box, but there is no meaningful information visible in that photo (e.g. company, make, model).

Additional information:

The seller lives in another State, a long way from my location.  A visit would involve a flight (or a long drive) and day or two in a hotel.  

The seller has a 95% rating. 

To me, a good rating means that I am willing to engage with a seller, but it does NOT justify sending the money without verifying the item’s existence/condition.

My question:

Because I am not inclined to send cash up-front, is there a better way forward for this ‘money-before-gear’ type of sale?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and happy listening!

inagroove

Offer to purchase and you pay the PayPal fee. This was the norm forever. This FF thing has gone to far. These people expect someone to spend thousands of $, up front with zero risk to them, and all the risk to you, and zero photos? Tell him that he expects to much! You’re strangers! Tell him A) you need photos with a sticky with his username and date, and you’ll purchase by paying the PP fee. Otherwise, walk!

It would be ideal if there was some kind of guaranteed protection for both the seller and the buyer, either side would be exposed to risk - customer payment first may not get item, shipment first seller may not get paid.  

As many mentioned, I'd look at the ratings.  99-100% with enough reviews (large sample) I'd feel comfortable that they would do their part.  With 95% I'd look at the negative reviews (sometimes the customer is mistaken or unreasonable) then decide is I'd be willing to trust/take the risk with this seller.  When I shopped for a dishwasher, one negative reviewer complained "it did not fit her wine glasses as well as the dishwasher she replaced" which has nothing to do with the quality and performance expected by the manufacturer.  

WHY? There are so many really reputable dealers online!!! TMR is beyond reproach! Top knotch brands, a used inventory that is tested more that the factory, no interest financing, no Q returns, trade in's????
That's just one dealer...

There are even apps which ask helpful local people to pick up a product and then ship them to you. 

Personally if I wanted it bad enough I’d drive or fly to look at it. Since his terms are so ridiculous, I’d insist he pay for your cost to SEE it. 
Otherwise, walk away.