$39K for the Linn Klimax DAC/streamer?

It has to be set up using a special service and there is no manual? I guess this for the very wealthy few who do not care about "gear." I would rather buy a car with this money, or part of a Porsche, and set up my own DAC/streamer. But Stephen Scarf at Absolute Sound says.."unquestionably the best combination DAC/streamer I've ever heard, bar none." Great hyperbole, may hold true for a month or two, then some other over-priced bit of kit comes along..
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930

Showing 2 responses by mgrif104

@jhills 

Which specific streamers have you actually auditioned to reach your conclusion?  Are you able to hear differences between DACs?  Have you perceived differences between amplifiers?  To what might you attribute those different sonic characteristics?  Why would that not also apply to a source? 

It turns out they do.  Though you may believe differently, with any reasonably decent system (golden ears and/or golden wallet are not needed) those differences are readily apparent.  Yes, a cheap streamer will play music with fidelity.  Better units will do so with more spatial information and resolution which are pretty easy to hear.  Perhaps you should try one - you might be pleasantly surprised.

This is an audiophile forum - a place where people who are interested in bettering their sound (within their budget) come to discuss and explore.  It's interesting how many come here with preconceived ideas of what "must" be (i.e. bits are bits so digital sources sound the same, all class D amplifiers are lifeless, etc.). 

I'm not suggesting that more expensive is always better sounding. That clearly isn't the case.  But, a good system will be well rewarded with moving upstream on the source.  BTW - I didn't believe it either before I tried it.  Nevertheless, I gained more sonic benefits moving to a better streamer than I did by significantly upgrading my DAC (and I spent 2x on the DAC relative to the streamer).  I think I may have gotten that backwards in hindsight.

@jhills 

I didn't ask if you thought all DACs and amps sounded the same. I asked you to consider why they sound different (if you do perceive a difference) and then consider if some of the same factors might apply to streamers.

Based on your response,I gather that you haven't actually tried any upscale streamers.  I won't change your belief through this discussion. May I suggest you try one in your system? If, after then, you decide there's no benefit, then you'll have a data point on which to base your opinion.