300B SET or EL34 SET

Hej

I've read that 300B tubes has a wonderful midrange, but what about bass and hights? Is the EL34 tube better in these areas?
Will a 300B SET be better than a EL34 SET for low volume listening?
simna

Showing 8 responses by simna

I'm thinking of Audion Sterling EL34 and Audion Silver Night (300B). I tought my Tannoy Legacy Eaton at 89dB sensivity would be too hard for the 300B amp to drive but Graeme at Audion says it will be no problem.
But if we just look at the characteristics of the tube itself; which tube has most punch in the bass, or best bass?
What I understand from your answers the hights also goes to 300B.
Hmm... After reading your posts maybe I'll should give up the thoughts of a SET amp for the Tannoys and be happy with my EL34 push-pull and my EL84 push-pull.
But I really want that EL34 SET and I really like my 89dB Tannoys. It took me long time to find a speaker that I was satisfied with. Sigh!

@verdantaudio
Thank you very much for the enlightning post. I've been wondering what I need all these "extra" watts for. Now I know:)

Another thing hit me. What about impedance throughout the whole frequency span? Does a speakers sensitivity tell the whole story?
I mean my ATC SCM 19v2 at 85dB is OK with 35w, but the impedance never falls under 6dB.
Problem is; I don't know how flat my Tannoys impedance is. I got some measurements, but I don't know how to read them. 

I'm really a sucker for the EL34 midrange, and also 300B when I heard the Audion Silver Night at a dealers. Actually I wished that the Audion EL34 should be the perfect choise for my Tannoys. Rolling 300B:s are just too expensive and I have a few EL34:s already. I just wanna be sure that the differences in the bass wouldn't be too big.Interesting suggestions, but a little expencive for me and I don't live in the US. I live in Sweden, in Europe.
Thanks anyway.
My listening room is rather small, 4.48x3.96 meters and the hight is 2.62 meters wihch is aprox. 14.7x13 feet and 8.6 feet high. 
I'm sitting aprox. 2.5 meters (8 feet) from the speakers which is placed  40-50 cm (1.3-1.6 inches), toed in, from the wall.

I can't test the amps with my speakers because there's no dealer selling either the more expensive Tannoys or the Audion amps in Sweden. The two Audion amps the dealer had were trade-in. The Silver Night should the dealer keep for himself and the EL34 was already promised to another customer. And this more than a month ago, so they will not even be in the shop by now.
So if I wanna buy Audion I have to buy it from abroad. From Denmark or directly from Audion in France. Return policy? Don't think so.
@plga
W
hich speakers do you have?
My ATC SCM19 doesn't come alive before the volume is to high for me. That's why they are in the closet now. 
Maybe I have to look at another Tannoy speaker which is more sensitive. I suppose the bigger brother Cheviot (at 91dB) will sound very much like my Eatons. Then there are the Prestige series Turnberry GR (at 93dB), but I have not found anyone who have compared Turnberry with Eaton or Cheviot, so I don't if they have the same "house sound".

Or maybe I, as bobheinatz says, use a more powerful amp. I already have an old Tube Technology Unisis Signature (that needs a little repairing), EL84, PP, 30-35w and a Line Magnetic LM34IA, EL34, PP, 40w. These are the amps a use whith my Tannoys today.

I should never had heard these Audion amps:)

@azazello
I have a PP EL34 amp today and as I said before I really like the EL34 tube and I can't agree with you that it's not a good tube. Maybe it's a question of taste or maybe it's a question of room, DAC, other components in the amp or...