300B or 2a3 SET Class A for Heretic Model A?

Wondering which one would be the perfect match/magical integrated? 100db is more than enough to drive almost everything.

Between these: Mastersound Compact 300B, Trafomatic Evolution Two, Robson Acoustic 300B Masterpiece,  WE91E or even Luxman SQ-N150.

Thanks in advance!

superelmar

“It’s really about SETs being a musical instrument rather than a music reproducer. Fun, but it’s not at all accurate to the recording. That profound ever-lovin' 2nd harmonic gets a richness that isn't part of the original recording; that is why I say 'musical instrument'.”

To me this is also a specious point, the idea of accuracy in recorded reproduction. I’m looking for something I  like. I don’t want a stereo limited by only sounding good with any particular music or record label. It’s not about accuracy, to me accuracy is anti musical. I want the music I listen to- to be engaging. Accurate is irrelevant, in fact I don’t think it exists. Perhaps an extreme view point. You get into set amps because you want to experience the music not judge the recording. 

“It always bothers me when some asks about a lower power tube amp and someone chimes in with, get a higher powered amp.”

Great posts yaluaka

All good amplifier possibilities by the OP. I'd like to suggest another possibility that would let you have your cake and eat it too -- Why not consider building an Ele-kit TU-8900 from Victor Kung at VKmusic.ca?

I have one and really love it with Avantgarde Duo SD G3 horns. The Ele-kit is an easy build and with the carefully curated upgraded parts that can be bought from Victor with the amp kit, it is a very high performing, lovely sounding amplifier. It is auto-biasing and auto-sensing between 300B and 2A3. Herb Reichert at Stereophile loves his (Gramophone Dreams #74 

For not much more money you could add a Sunvalley SV-S1645D, also from Victor Kung, that uses the 45 tube or with an inexpensive plug-in adapter socket, the the 46 for outputs. Less power than the 2A3 typically produces as a SET, but Oh My! the 45 sound is seductive.

I've both of these amplifiers, having moved way to the other end of the spectrum from my previous D'Agostino Momentum M400 monoblocks, and I am completely happy with the flea powered amps. 

Anyway, just another couple alternatives out many fine amplifiers. Aric is also an excellent possibility and he will build you an amplifier that can switch between 2A3, 45 and 46 if you approach him about it.

Good luck with your journey!

Steve Z

PS: @yaluaka -- Best posts I've read in years. What I want is My-fi, not some else's idea of hi-fi.

Stev eZ

To me this is also a specious point, the idea of accuracy in recorded reproduction. I’m looking for something I like. I don’t want a stereo limited by only sounding good with any particular music or record label. It’s not about accuracy, to me accuracy is anti musical. I want the music I listen to- to be engaging. Accurate is irrelevant, in fact I don’t think it exists. Perhaps an extreme view point. You get into set amps because you want to experience the music not judge the recording.

@yaluaka It appears to me that you are conflating ’accurate’ with ’anti musical’ as emphasized above. That isn’t how its supposed to work; if the amp isn’t musical its also isn’t accurate. IOW if you want the most engaging presentation, the amp will be both musical and accurate. That exists. When the amp is musical but not accurate (as is the case with most SETs) then while it might be engaging, its not as engaging as it could be, because you’re really not hearing the music properly.

For some decades now the solid state community has beat up on tubes by saying that solid state is more accurate. But most of the time those amps were not musical because they made distortion to which the ear is keenly attuned. So those amps had ’low distortion’ but sounded harsh and bright- not at all engaging.

As a designer, once you understand how the ear perceives sound and how that relates to distortion amps make, you can design an amplifier that is both accurate and musically engaging. If you really understand how this works, it doesn’t even have to be a tube amp; the ’sonic signature’ of any amplifier is also its distortion signature. So if you can get a solid state amp to have the same sort of distortion as a tube amp, it will sound like a tube amp. That’s only one of the implications of understanding how this all works.

Put yet another way, there are tube amps that are more engaging than the best SETs, with wider bandwidth (read: more and deeper bass impact) and greater power at the same time.

Its not about judging the recording so much as it is enjoying the music. We’re on the same page with that. It sounds to me as if you’ve been exposed to too many amusical amps that were purported as ’accurate’ when they were not. Harsh and bright to me a far more egregious coloration than the ever-lovin’ 2nd harmonic of tube amps. But if you can get that 2nd harmonic down, you can get more detail, since distortion obscures detail. And you can do this without it being bright.