2010 RMAF Analog Reports + Meet and Greet

The Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is quickly approaching. I’m planning to use this thread to capture anticipated analog related information about the show as well as impressions.

The past three years of RMAF visits have been fun, entertaining, and rewarding. I go to the show for many reasons but mostly to meet other music lovers/audiophiles and industry professionals. The diversity of music, equipment, and personalities are very interesting to me. A link to last year's comments can be found here: 2009 RMAF Comments

There should be quite a few interesting things going on at this year’s RMAF. If you haven’t attended the show, you should seriously consider going. I’ll post a few things I anticipate seeing at this year's RMAF in the tread reply below.

I’ve also found out that AudiogoN member Cello has set up a meet and greet on Friday night @ Garcia's Restaurant located across the street from the Marriot. More details to follow. The past two meet and greets in 2008 and 2009 have been very enjoyable. I expect the same from this one as well.

Please feel free to post your attendance plans now and your analog experiences after the show.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you at the show,
Dre
dre_j

Showing 5 responses by pcosta

I am looking forward to listening to the High Water Sound room. I want to listen to the Raven 10.5 and get a good look at the Thales arm. Jeff's sound is always top notch.
Hopefully there will be more analog there this year overall.
HI Dev

The Thales arm is out of my league as far as pricing goes so no interest in owning one. Wonderful idea though.

The Raven 10.5 is wonderful sounding arm, always in control, smooth high's with nice clean upper extension. Bass was deap and tight, nothing to complain about as far as usability. Build quality is second to none! It will accomidate many different cartridges according to TW.

We listened to the 10.5 with Miyabi/47 on the TW Raven AC3, and the Ortofon Cadenza Black on the 10.5 and the TW Black Night.

High Water Sound had two setups at opposite sides of the room, so different presentations from the two setups. Both very good.

I will let Jeff from High Water Sound know I will be buying a 10.5 in the future.

I have full rez pictures of both setups, I will post them on my systems page.

I went to the shoot out later adnd it was still in full swing at 10PM and they were still going at it when I left. Full house BTW.

Steve Dobbins was down the hall playing music in his room too, so I spent some time in there. The attmosphere was a lot more relaxed from my tastes.
Tbg

The Thales was setup for Friday, but it was setup with the wrong block under it, Jeff could not get the correct VTA range, so I think he decided it was better to not show it for the rest of the weekend.

I liked Steve's room too. He handled it all very well, and his sound was very good.
Tbg

It's a shame the Thales was damaged. I was looking forward to listening to it a little longer, and hoping to hear what Jeff said about it while using it in NY, but going into Jeff's room Saturday afternoon, it was off the table.

Any other good analog sounds that stood out for you at the show?

I tried a couple of times to listen to the Bermann table but no luck.